Please sign in to post.

(Virtual) East Bay (SF area) Travel Group Meeting - Sat, Dec 4, 2021

**Please join our East Bay (San Francisco area) Travel Group meeting!
We welcome newcomers and travelers from around the globe to our online meetings, up to practical online meeting capacity.

WHEN: Saturday, December 4, 2021 @ 11am-1:00pm (Pacific time)

WHERE: online
Please RSVP on this thread
I will send the meeting link via private messages the week before the meeting.

TOPICS
Come hear about recent travels and let's hear what everyone is thinking about for 2022.

Travels (approx 1st hour)
(We'll spend about the first hour. It is unlikely we will have time for all of these; we will carry over into January)

Laura B - Vienna?
Barbara N - beautiful trees at Calaveras Big Trees
SharYn - 3 weeks in Paris
Avi - Cincinnati in October
Carol - Portugal

Group Discussions (2nd hour) 2022 Plans and Planning Strategies

How are you thinking about / planning for your 2022 travels?
Are you planning single country or multi-country travels?
How are you thinking about flights? non-stops vs transit?

Future meetings (2nd Saturdays except as noted)

January 8, 2021 @ 11am PT (online)
diveloonie - Egypt
CWSocial - SE states road trip in November, including Savannah

February 12, 2021 @ 11am PT (TBD online vs in-person)

Posted by
4611 posts

Please let me know if you have travels to share. I can give a quick report on my road trip from Richmond, VA with several stops down the coast to Florida.

Posted by
2456 posts

I might say something about Cincinnati in October but I want people to be excited about coming to the zoom group :-P + /s

Posted by
3226 posts

I will be there, I can share about recent trip to Egypt and love to hear about others travels! I miss you guys!
Avi-Lol!

Posted by
32746 posts

Nigel raises his hand... "Please, Miss, may I join please... I'd be ever so grateful"

Posted by
4611 posts

I've sent the link to everyone who has replied, above. Including Nigel, since you asked so nicely ;-)

Please let me know if you did not receive it.

TravelMom - we will miss you and miss hearing about your Croatia/Slovenia trip, but we will look forward to hearing about that and Paris in meetings in the New Year. Happy travels - we're all riding on your travel coattails!

diveloonie - you're on for Egypt, love your photobooks!

avirosemail - I would definitely like to hear about Cincinnati. Haven't been there in (ahem) decades but I remember it being beautiful and can imagine the colors might have been fabulous in October!

Carol - looking forward to hearing more about Portugal!

Valerie - we've missed you too, looking forward to hearing your travel updates!

Laura B - I think I'm sad that you'll be joining us in December because it must mean that your December trip has been cancelled. I'm not surprised with the situation in Austria. We'll be interested in hearing the saga.

Christine - I'm eager to hear your thoughts on your 2022 travel plans.

Posted by
325 posts

Hi,
Please add me to the list. Looking forward to seeing all again.

Posted by
660 posts

I’ll be there! I can show a few slides of beautiful trees at Calaveras Big Trees if there is time.

Posted by
4611 posts

Lynn and Barbara N, I've just sent each of you the Dec 4th meeting link.

Yes, Barbara N please share your Calaveras big trees slides with us! Looks like I'll be needing more ideas for road trips.

Posted by
1307 posts

I just returned from 3 weeks in Paris and can talk a little about what that was like, but I'm not techie enough to share photos.
I'm looking forward to the meeting.
SharYn

Posted by
93 posts

Hi CW, please include me in the upcoming meeting. Nothing to share, but looking forward to hearing about others' travels. Thanks!

Posted by
286 posts

I also don’t have any travels to share but I’m looking forward to hearing about others’ travels whether international or domestic.

If we have the time, I’d also be interested in hearing about people’s thought processes in deciding where, when and whether to travel given the pandemic challenges involved in traveling to some countries and states (U.S.). (Not meant to reference politics in any way though.) I’ll be making those travel assessments and decisions next year (hopefully😊) so I’d really like to learn from those who have dealt with those this year.

Posted by
4611 posts

SharYn - we would definitely like to hear about Paris, and I'm so glad you made it!
bugslife - it will be great to see you online!
Valerie - I sent you the meeting link twice....wasn't paying enough attention, probably sleep from turkey ;-)

I've sent each of you the link via pm. If you didn't get it, please do let me know and I will resend.

TOPICS:
I agree that I would love to hear about everyone's decision making with respect to 2022 travels. I've already had to make one tough choice but still hoping I will get to travel to Europe next year. I'm also interested in everyone's thoughts on single country vs multi-country travels (especially outside Schengen) and how that factors.

I'd also love to hear about people's experiences and thoughts on international flights and navigating the requirements to transit through countries on the way to destinations.

Posted by
26 posts

I’d love to join if there is still capacity.

Posted by
3226 posts

Catherine, I won’t be able to make it after all. My daughter has a ski race that day. I would love to join/tell about my trip to Egypt on your next virtual meeting. I was looking forward to it, so a bit bummed, but motherhood calls.

Posted by
4611 posts

Anne, plenty of room and I've just sent you the link via pm.
diveloonie, I can't argue with those priorities, but we will still miss you and look forward to hearing about Egypt in the new year!

Posted by
10221 posts

We have two trips booked for 2022. We have to make up for lost time. Spring trip to Germany, France and Amsterdam (Haarlem) is 6 weeks. Summer/Fall trip is Ireland, Scotland,England and France for 10 weeks. 🤞🏼

Posted by
4611 posts

Andrea, I've just sent you the link via pm. So glad that you'll be joining us and we look forward to hearing about your 2022 plans and planning strategies.

Posted by
4611 posts

There are still meeting seats for travelers who might like to join to hear about 2021 travels and 2022 plans and planning strategies. I will check this post until about 30 minutes before the meeting start time for any last minute arrivals, though I cannot guarantee that your baggage will arrive with you at your destination ;-)

See you all online tomorrow!

Posted by
1506 posts

We also have some trips 'planned' for 2022. Will share if time.

Posted by
32746 posts

oooh its getting close - like waiting for Santa to fall down the chimney

I'm bouncing on the bed...

Posted by
2456 posts

Several of the remarks people made in today's meeting are going to stick in my thoughts for a long while - very intriguing pov
thanks everyone and esp. to CWsocial for keeping us rowing in the same direction :-)

Posted by
32746 posts

Had a great time - can't wait for the next chapter.

Thanks very much to Avirosemail and especially CWSocial. Great job...

I wish I had taped the details of the story of the mural.

Posted by
4611 posts

Loved the story of the mural! I will remember it whenever I'm debating joining a walking tour/hiring a guide: "the more you know."

Thanks to all for sharing your recent travel experiences as well as your thinking about 2022 travels. SharYn, your Paris experience is encouragement for my idea to stay in Warsaw for a longer period. Carol, Portugal keeps grabbing my attention!

Barbara N, I'm happy to have a new idea for a local trip. Thanks for sharing your visit to the Calaveras Big Trees!

Posted by
286 posts

This was a fun and interesting meeting. Thanks Catherine and Avi and to everyone for sharing their photos, travel updates, and travel planning strategies.

Posted by
10221 posts

It was a very enjoyable meeting. Thanks Catherine and Avi. It got me thinking about my spring trip and taking the chance of crossing borders. I think I’m going to book a flight home from Paris and keep the flight from Amsterdam. Using airline miles I can cancel what I don’t use and not lose anything. I’ll book an apartment or hotel room in Paris for that week as well that I will be able to cancel at the last minute. This will allow me to see how things are going in the Netherlands when it gets closer.

Posted by
1506 posts

Another enjoyable meeting. Loved the Paris report, thanks SharYn! Also thanks to Avi and Barbara their presentations. It was great to be discussing the possibility of actual travel!