Please sign in to post.

(Virtual) East Bay (SF area) Travel Group Meeting - Sat, April 11, 2020

We will host our 2nd virtual travel group meeting at our usual time!

WHEN: Saturday, April 11, 2020 @ 11am
Please let me know if you can attend so that I can provide you with the URL.

WHERE: virtual meeting
- we'll try Zoom this time; I've already set it up; seems easy enough! And I know some of you have used it.
- I've read that free meetings are limited to 40 minutes, ok well we'll try it anyway

Setup: please follow these instructions to download Zoom
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/26/how-to-host-a-zoom-meeting.html
- works on Android, iPhone and laptop/desktops
- once you've installed Zoom, please follow their instructions to test your audio and video

TOPICs: refunds, rescheduling, travel dreams when this is all over!

This meeting is BYO - Bring Your Own coffee, Bring Your Own chair. BYO device to connect to the virtual meeting.

Posted by
1307 posts

Hi Catherine --
I'm interested in the online version of our meeting.
If you look at the Sacramento thread there is a good discussion of using Zoom and how to get around the 40 minute limit.
I don't know if you have an email address for me but I will PM you with it.
(It's best to keep the link off of the "open market.) ;-)
Stay well.
SharYn

Posted by
744 posts

Count me in! Thank you for trying out Zoom... I've had good luck with it over the past few weeks!

Posted by
4601 posts

SharYn and Christine, so glad you'll both make it. I've sent you the Zoom meeting info.

SharYn - I'll check out that Zoom thread again to make sure I get all the tips. At the moment, we may be doing two 40 minute sessions. I'll see if there's a better suggestion. We also have a new member, joining us on Saturday, who has a pro account that allows for unlimited length meetings. So that may be our best option!

Posted by
5697 posts

Count me in, too. If we don't get unlimited time, we can take a 10-minute potty-and-get-coffee break between sesions.

Posted by
4601 posts

Laura B, I think that's a spectacular idea!

I'll send you a message with the info to join.

Posted by
1506 posts

Have never used Zoom. Downloaded app but it didn't tell me to test audio or video. Where should that be?

Posted by
4601 posts

Hi Carol, I think it came up as an option as I was loading the app the first time. It doesn't do that now, but you can still test both...

With the Zoom app open, click on the "Settings" icon (picture of a little gear, upper right corner)

Test Video: In the left hand navigation window, click Video - my camera comes up and shows its video; you won't get this on your laptop, which doesn't have webcam. You should be able do so something similar on your phone, if you've downloaded Zoom to it.

Test Audio: still in the settings screen, click Audio, then click "Test Speaker" and (once that's working) click "Test Mic"

You may have to adjust the instructions a bit for what you see on an iPhone. This is based on what I see on my laptop.

Posted by
4601 posts

Thank you RobertH, appreciate the heads up. At the very least, we're following their basic summary of suggestions:

Short summary:

1. don't share the meeting ID more than you have to - we will only share via private message, the meeting ID won't be posted
  2. use a password in addition to a meeting ID - yes, we are using a password for our meeting
  3. use the waiting room if you can - I do have the meeting set up to have a "waiting room," so I will accept each recognized person as they enter the meeting

And this one is on all of us:

1. pay attention to who has what permissions - please do not distribute or post the meeting id or password, allow me to give those out through private messages
Posted by
1506 posts

Ok, I think it's working though I don't have the icons you mention, the video is working and the microphone was on. Will you send the meeting info in advance so we can be sure we can get in?

Posted by
4601 posts

Hi Carol - I just sent you the Zoom meeting info via PM.

RobertH - thank you for sending the info. I see that Zoom is being investigated by the Attorneys general.

Everyone - please let me know if you have Skype installed on a device and if you've used it before. I have a Skype account and it seems pretty simple to start a (now) free meeting. Please either respond on this thread or DM me.

(Please do NOT provide your Skype account name on this public thread.)

Posted by
1506 posts

Are you looking for options? We have Whatsapp. Have only used it for one on one phone calls but I think it can be used for groups. Used extensively in Europe and South America.

Posted by
4601 posts

Hi Carol, thanks for the suggestion!

From what I've researched, WhatsApp can do video calls with up to 4 people. We'll have more than that! Also, I want to be able to share my screen for this meeting. And that's all I'll say on that until Saturday!

Posted by
98 posts

Zoom is more secure when used on an iPhone or iPad. This is because you must download the app from the iOS App Store which has strict rules about what is made available there. The iOS app is also just better constrained by the operating system. I originally thought that Zoom for the Mac was simply a web application but that isn't the case. The web site makes you download an application to your Mac. I wouldn't blame anyone at all for deleting the Mac Zoom application until they make it eligible for the Mac App Store.

A couple of the alarms about privacy are somewhat overblown. For example, while it was true that your LinkedIn profile could be read by a Zoom meeting participant who had also paid for their sales lead service hardly anyone used that feature and I don't see it as a significant risk for personal meetings. For one thing, it doesn't matter if you don't have a LinkedIn profile. Also, improved password handling and using a waiting room reduces the "zoombombing" risk. It is far easier to deal with a zoom bomber for a casual meeting than it would be to deal with some crazy person ranting and raving at your group in person.

I like Cisco's WebEx quite a lot but it is too expensive for me as an individual user.

Posted by
744 posts

Success! It was so great to reconnect with everyone. Thank you, Catherine, for organizing our virtual RS travel meeting and taking us on a the tour of Moscow's beautiful metro stations!

Carol, looking forward to reading your Spain trip report!

Christine

Posted by
1506 posts

Another virtually great meeting, thanks again, Catherine! So great to see everyone and to know that we pretty much are all just pushing our plans forward. Loved the metro presentation; we might have to go on a tour after all, Catherine.

Thanks, Christine. I'm working on it. Will post it in the Spain forum if I can narrow down the pictures I picked out.

Until next month!

Posted by
4601 posts

I'm so glad everyone could make it today! It was great to see you again SharYn, and nice to meet you Avi! Thanks for bringing Rick along :-)

It was fun to have you all join me "in" Moscow for the tour. I still hope to see those beautiful metro stations in person …. one day!

Posted by
658 posts

Hi Catherine,

I just saw this! Sorry I missed the meeting. Is our next virtual meeting scheduled?

Posted by
4601 posts

Hi Barbara, I'm sorry we missed you!

We'll stick with our previously published schedule of May 2nd at 11am. I was supposed to be traveling in May, so we were holding the meeting on the first Saturday instead of the 2nd. We'll stick with that May 2nd date for those who had it on their calendars.