Please sign in to post.

(Virtual) East Bay (SF area) Travel Group Meeting - Sat, April 10, 2021

Please join our (virtual) East Bay (San Francisco area) Travel Group meeting.
Visitors are encouraged!

WHEN: Saturday, April 10, 2021 @ 11am-1:00pm (Pacific time)

WHERE: virtual meeting, I will send the link via private message to participants

Easter Celebrations in Europe
Did you catch Monday Night Travel with Rick Steves in his Celebrate a European Easter episode?
Join your fellow traveler who will share his own Semana Santa experience.

TOPIC:

Cell phone usage and tips - what have you used and what do you recommend for connecting while in Europe?

ARMCHAIR TRAVELS:
Come along as our travelers share their visits to Malta and to Copenhagen and Stockholm!

Future meetings (2nd Saturdays except as noted)
May 8, 2021 @ 11am PT (virtual meeting)
June 12, 2021 @ 11am PT (in-person?)
July 10, 2021 @ 11am PT (to be decided: virtual or in-person)
August 14, 2021 @ 11am PT (to be decided: virtual or in-person)

Posted by
4603 posts

I have sent the meeting link to everyone who has commented above and to those who have sent a private message. Please let me know if you didn't receive it!

Posted by
118 posts

Hi Catherine,
I'm working on my presentation so count me in.

Posted by
4603 posts

Barbara N and Carolyn, I've sent the link to each of you via private messages.

Posted by
4603 posts

There is still room if anyone else would like to join. I will check for requests up until about 30 minutes prior to the start time.

Looking forward to our meeting and virtual travels tomorrow!

Posted by
32746 posts

Hi CWSocial....

I thought I had another meeting tomorrow evening (7pm my time) but I find that, in the incomparable words of Mr Humphries, "I'm Free!!!".

May I have an invite please?

Posted by
4603 posts

Why certainly you may, Nigel! I've just sent it to you - twice - once without the leading "h" and again with it. The latter, of course, being the correct version.

Posted by
32746 posts

thanks very much...

My mother always told me "don't drop your 'aitches"

Posted by
4603 posts

Very proper, indeed. What would a URL be without a leading 'aitch, after all?

Posted by
3226 posts

Catherine, is it too late to join? Please send link and I hope I don’t have all the technical issues I had last time!

Posted by
4603 posts

Hi diveloonie, not too late at all! Meeting link just sent.

Posted by
2456 posts

Another great meeting, thanks not least to CWsocial's deft herding of us cats :-)

I regret not having my photos in better order to give a good sense of the flavor of Tarragona during semana santa -
some things to keep in mind for the future are the French reconstruction of the city walls, including cannon that I believe were forged in New England, and the tombs of very early Christian communities -- tradition holds that Apostle Paul visited, perhaps as part of the trip where he washed up in Malta as well...

I'm very glad we got a chance to get out and see Tivoli and Gozo as well -- even if we make them more touristy ...

Posted by
70 posts

Thanks to everyone, great trip reports. Definitely need to add Malta to a future itinerary, especially when I finally get to visit Sciliy. Cheers, Scott

Posted by
4076 posts

Lol, Avi! But seriously I love pictures so I loved the quick flash through - it was kind of like a movie!

I hope I haven’t missed a Sicily presentation because now I need that to go with my future Malta trip! min and I think Malta at Easter is the way to go (especially since it isn’t touristy - lol).

Thanks, everyone! Another great meeting!

Posted by
4603 posts

I agree with Travelmom, the quick flash through was like one of those old fashioned "move-ies" with lots of frames and your brain see the film. I liked it! I loved the Roman gladiator guys marching through the streets.

It was great fun to visit Stockholm and Copenhagen, and hear your perceptions of them, Travelmom. The churches were far more ornate than I would have thought - with no real basis for that preconception.

It does seem sensible to add Malta to that next Sicily trip I had hoped to take this year! I'll go anywhere that ricotta is deemed a dessert :-) I was just reading a historical fiction book about WWII that mentioned Malta. After Carolyn's wonderful presentation, I felt like I knew where they were talking about!

Thanks to all for your efforts in taking us to Europe with you today!

Posted by
303 posts

Avi, I too appreciated what you shared today and especially the videos, really takes one there in the moment ... Roman Gladiators a definite plus.

Also fun to visit Stockholm and Copenhagen Travelmom, I had no idea what to expect and am now even more intrigued. And yes, I like our idea of Malta at Easter! Timely for Avi’s presentation as it nicely tied in with Carolyn’s recommendation for best time of year to visit Malta.

Carolyn, you would be (were) great as a tour guide! The meticulous details you included were fascinating and well presented, I wish it had been recorded (as zoom teased us it was until it changed it’s mind, lol) ‘cause I would definitely want to hear it all again. So many wonderful details.