Please sign in to post.

Tulsa Area Travel Group Meeting, December 18, 2021

It's exciting that we've picked up several new members in our Tulsa Area group this year. Such fun to meet new people who share our love of travel, and whose eyes don't glaze over when we discuss our trips, even when the trips may have been taken years ago, or are still in the "if only..." stage.

Our next travel group meeting will be Saturday, December 18, at Panera Bread at 41st and Hudson (that's 5601 E. 41st, between Yale and Sheridan), at 10:00 a.m.

Our friends who had planned Christmas market trips this year are disappointed that their tours were cancelled or changed beyond all recognition, but that means they'll be here for our meeting! (Hey, look for the bright side, right?) Those of us who have 2022 trips scheduled are getting close enough to departure time that we are getting serious about details, especially transportation and booking special activities. We should have plenty of questions to ask and tips to share. And we can get to know our new members better, always a treat.

As always, all topics related to travel are open for discussion, and all comers are welcome. It's an open forum - come join in the fun.

If you love to travel, or would like to travel, or are curious about travel, come join us. Anyone is welcome; you don't have to have been on a Rick Steves tour, or any tour at all. You'll recognize us by the RS books on the table, and the big smiles on our faces.

Posted by
991 posts

Jane,
I was thinking about joining your group but Tulsa is a little too far for me! St. Louis is a little too far also - although I did attend a couple of times. From Springfield MO I am 100 miles East on I44. I have a couple of people in Springfield, MO that want to form a new group starting next year. I would love to pick your brain for some ideas about what works for your group.

Margaret

Posted by
6289 posts

Margaret, sending you a PM.

But for the benefit of anyone paying attention here, if you're considering starting a group, go for it! Kim from Oklahoma and I started our group a number of years ago (5 maybe?) and we've had a wonderful time. In gloomy times, our monthly meetings have been the those bright spots we look ahead to.

We've made new friends, learned so very much, and been able to share our own tips and experiences.

Edit to add: Here's a thread I started 6 years ago, when I first broached the topic. Lots of good answers that gave me and Kim the push we needed to get together, first just the two of us to see if we "clicked," and then to reach out to other folks to join us.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/travel-meetings/starting-a-travel-group

Posted by
6289 posts

Margaret, I agree that 100 miles is a little far, but we had a woman drive down from Kansas City once!

Posted by
32700 posts

Margaret, just be sure to send the franchise fee to Lee and Frank in the Denver area who started the concept many moons ago... I'm sure that they will know what to do with it LOL

Posted by
991 posts

Nigel, I wondered who started the concept of having local RS travel groups. What a great idea!

Posted by
6289 posts

Oops, I wonder how much we owe in past due fees.