Please sign in to post.

San Francisco East Bay Travel Group Meeting - Nov 12, 2022

We invite you to join our East Bay (San Francisco area) Travel Group meeting!
We welcome newcomers and travelers from around the globe to our online meetings.

WHEN
Saturday, November 12, 2022 @ 11am-1pm Pacific Time (Online)

WHERE: online; please RSVP on this thread
I will send the meeting links via private messages during the week before each meeting.

TOPICS
When did you get bit by the travel bug? What is one of your favorite early travel memories, whether from childhood or as an adult? Even better if you bring 1 or 2 photos of "that first trip!"

• Gorilla trekking photos with diveloonie
  • tales of Portugal with Diane (sharing photos) and CWsocial
  • stories of Poland with Carol (sharing photos) and Tony and TexasTravelMom
  • and maybe a few photos of Isle of Wight with Nigel ?

Please let me know in your RSVP if you have travels to share and a topic you'd like to discuss.

Future meetings (2nd Saturdays except as noted):

POSTPONED ONE WEEK November 10, 2022 @ 1pm-3pm PT, in-person, Thursday
- paid parking available on-street and in a nearby parking garage (see map)
- go inside to order, then we will meet and eat at their outdoor tables
UPDATE the forecast is sunny and 65F, we're on!!

December 3, 2022 @ 11am PT, online (1st Saturday)
- stories of Christmas markets from Catherine

NEW DATE December 15, 2022 @ 1pm PT, in-person (weather permitting, outdoor location TBD)

Posted by
4600 posts

Note that I've postponed the in-person meeting by one week as I have delayed my return from Denver by one week to help my brother with a massive yard project.

Please let me know if you'll be able to make the in-person meeting. I will be there, regardless, because I love going to that little cafe and pretending I'm in Paris!

Posted by
4600 posts

Diane, Carol and TexasTravelMom - please let me know if you have photos to share.

Posted by
4600 posts

I propose this Travel Topic and am open to other ideas, for this and future meetings.

When did you get bit by the travel bug? What is one of your favorite early travel memories, whether from childhood or as an adult?

Posted by
4071 posts

Love the topic! And I want to be sure diveloonie starts us off! I still want those gorillas…..

I could share photos like I did last time; but if Carol will be there and has time, she will do a better job with Poland.

And I will miss you on Dec. 3, but will be on the plane that day. :)

Posted by
4600 posts

Oh yes, we will start with gorillas! I've never once seen a gorilla in my travels :-)

Depending on who has photos (and who doesn't yet, like me) we may split Portugal and Poland across multiple meetings.

Posted by
4600 posts

And I will miss you on Dec. 3, but will be on the plane that day. :)

Wait, what?!? You won't be calling in from the plane??? ;-)

Posted by
1506 posts

Hope to be at both. I'm not sure I would do a better job than TTM but I will put together a presentation on beautiful Poland.

Posted by
32736 posts

I can be at one of the meetings only I'm afraid. Dead keen though. Please let me in.

When did you get bit by the travel bug?

way early. I may have a coupla pics if I can scan them...

Posted by
93 posts

Count me in for Nov 12 online.
When did you get bit by the travel bug? What is one of your favorite early travel memories, whether from childhood or as an adult? - Great future topic!

Posted by
4600 posts

Now Nigel, that's a great idea! A couple of pics of our early travels. I'll see what I can dig up and I hope others will as well!

Posted by
2073 posts

Please add me! I’ll try and have photos ready. The key word is “ try”. I’ll keep the number down to a few of the more interesting photos. Wish me luck!

Posted by
4600 posts

I found a couple of pictures of my very first trip to Europe. Oh my, the things I did back then :-)

Posted by
4600 posts

November 10th: I checked the weather for our meeting in Walnut Creek - sunny and 65!!

November 12th: I've just sent the meeting link to everyone who expressed interest above. There is plenty of room for anyone (local or not) who would like to join.

Posted by
285 posts

Hi. I don’t have any travels to share but I would love to hear about others’ travels (& see photos if available). Thanks.

Posted by
4600 posts

Hi Valerie, I"ve just sent a message with the meeting link. So glad you'll be joining us!

Posted by
4600 posts

November 10th @ 1pm in person:
The weather in Walnut Creek on Thursday will be sunny and 58. I'll be there, outside.

November 12th @ 11amPT online:
Everyone who has expressed interest, above, should have the link in your messages.

There is plenty of room at both meetings for anyone, local or not, who would like to join.

Posted by
15582 posts

I would like to join on Nov 12 - looking forward to Tammy's photos after hearing her trip report Sunday night.

I'll be in Budapest for Christmas markets on Dec. 3 so maybe I can join then as well.

Posted by
4600 posts

Hi Chani, I've just sent a message with the meeting link. Glad you'll be joining us for the long-awaited Gorilla trekking photos!!

Posted by
4600 posts

November 10th @ 1pm in person:
Looking forward to talking travels tomorrow in Walnut Creek! If I'm not at a table outside, I've probably stepped inside to place an order.

November 12th @ 11amPT online:
There's still room for anyone who would like to join online.

Posted by
2456 posts

I had a nightmare this morning:

It's the last day of a Rick Steves tour and everyone is up and bustling around super early -- I'm confused and sleepy. We have to go by 2:35am! Why? No one will stop to talk to me, and I just expected to follow the group, not make my own plans. I find the guide, who is sitting on a bench against the side of the building with Rick himself, chatting and laughing together. I have to get her attention and ask what is going on, and she looks at my paperwork, which I can't make sense of, and goes into an explanation that I also can't make sense of -- something was going on at the airline or the airport maybe, and the plans had to change? She says that the seat I have listed is a good one, which is lucky because the flight/trip (?) has been reinstated so I can just go ahead as originally planned. I don't understand it or the map that shows the regional connections and describes the options for what to do when the tour ends. Clearly she and Rick are relaxed while waiting but for what -- a bus? a taxi? Where are they going?

The only name that sticks in my ear from the dream is Trondheim,
and when I woke up I assumed that was in Germany and had to look it up -- oh, maybe Norway is why it wasn't dark in the dream at 2:30 in the morning?

Very disturbing - not least because I usually do my own planning and research and don't depend on following the crowd.

Posted by
4600 posts

Well, avirosemail, on the one hand, at least you're thinking about traveling. But you're supposed to be dreaming, not nightmaring!

It sounds like it's time for you to plan a trip to somewhere that is very comfortable for you, so that you can get your travel legs back under you! A favorite city or region?!?

Posted by
4071 posts

I hate those kinds of dreams!

Yep, maybe your subconscious is telling you it’s time to start planning. (Or going)

Posted by
4600 posts

It was great fun meeting in person today, comparing travel stories of Turkey and Portugal, and seeing Carol's newest travel photo book from their trip to Poland, plus Barbara N's fall color photos.

Looking forward to seeing everyone online on Saturday and hearing more of the stories!

PS - I found my parking garage ticket so I didn't have to mortgage my house to get out.

Posted by
1506 posts

Hooray! Hope it wasn't too much trouble. Next time maybe have Farrah hold it :)

Posted by
4600 posts

Hah funny, Farrah probably could have hung on to it! I thought it might have dropped out of my ever-so-secure back pocket in the cafe. It did. And although they'd closed, they were still there to let me in to get it. Phew!

Posted by
4600 posts

Looking forward to our meeting tomorrow and swapping more travel stories.

If anyone would still like to join, I will check this thread until 30 minutes prior to the meeting time and can send the link.

ETA: don't forget your "first travels" stories!

Posted by
4600 posts

Good morning! Last call to join is at 1030am PT.

See you all online in a few hours!

Posted by
4600 posts

Last call at 10:30am PT!

A reminder for new travelers joining us for the first time, please log into your free Zoom account prior to clicking on the meeting link that I sent you via private message. Otherwise, our meeting security setting will not allow you to access the meeting.

Posted by
15582 posts

Absolutely bummed to have missed this. I only discovered my internet was out about 10 minutes before you started and only got reconnected nearly 2 hours later.

Posted by
4600 posts

Chani, so sorry that we missed you. Oh dear, hopefully we'll catch you next time!

Posted by
2456 posts

Thanks to CWsocial for bringing us together so we could hear such great stories of travels from the previous century, and some exciting travel up to the present minute as well :-)

Posted by
1506 posts

Yes, thanks to Catherine and to Avi for coordinating this meeting. From gorilla babies (so cute) to travel stories from times past. Such interesting and fun stories! What a group!

Posted by
32736 posts

what a good time we all had!! Thanks to all....

Posted by
4071 posts

I love hearing about everyone’s travels! Looking forward to Portugal next time if I can work it out at all!

Thanks, CW & avi and presenters!

Posted by
3223 posts

Chani, I wondered what happened to you! Bummed you missed it.
Thank to the hosts Avi and Catherine and Carol for a great presentation on Poland. Good grief my travel list just gets longer!
I hope that someday in the future I can attend a in person meeting! Wouldn’t that be fun!

Posted by
2073 posts

Thanks to Avi for helping me after the meeting with my photo issue. I apparently had a function locked in my zoom settings.

Posted by
1506 posts

Hooray! Looking forward to your pictures next month. And maybe CWsocial's if they're ready.

Posted by
2456 posts

Let's not count our zoom screen-sharing chickens before they're hatched :-)
There are plenty more ways that these machines can trip us up hiding under the hood.

Posted by
1506 posts

Avi, could that thought account for your nightmare?