Please sign in to post.

NEW East Bay (SF area) Travel Group Meeting - Sat, Aug 24, 2019

Please join us at the first meeting of the East Bay (San Francisco area) Travel Group.

Do you enjoy talking about travel and hearing about the travels of others? Do you love to travel or would you like to travel? Are you looking for advice for an upcoming trip? Or have travel experiences you'd love to share? Whether you enjoy RS tours or have never been on one. Everyone is welcome!!

Please do not be confused, this is not the San Francisco Travel Group, which will continue to meet in Marin.

Time and Date:
August 24, 2019, 11am (first meeting!)

It will be helpful to know who is coming so that I can get there early and get enough seating. So please reply to let us know if you can make it! I'm already expecting 7 (including myself) based on early feelers to gauge interest. It should be a great group of travelers!

Future meetings, to help you plan:
September 14, 2019, 11am
October TBD (I'll be traveling, will look for a co-host)
November 9, 2019 11am
(Added) December 14, 2019 11am

Edit: Our new location will be:
Geppetto's Cafe
87 Orinda Way, Orinda, CA 94563
outdoor patio, weather pemitting

1 Camino Sobrante #9, Orinda, CA
I'll have a couple of Rick Steves guidebooks on the table to help you find us!

Getting there:
Public Transport: 0.8 miles from the Orinda Bart station
Driving: just off Exit 9 (Orinda) on the North side of 24, immediately off Camino Pablo
- there is street parking (I seem to remember it is free, but I'm not certain; I'll confirm for next time)

Posted by
745 posts

Thank you, CWsocial, for organizing this new travel group! I’ll be there!

Posted by
9420 posts

Fantastic CW! The East Bay needs a travel group, thank you for stepping up!

Posted by
116 posts

CWsocial, my wife I are planning to attend. We live just down the road in Danville. However, I have two events that will have a priority if they come up. If I can’t make I will let you know either way. I Do plan to attend future meetings as dates and times get set. We have attended the Marin county meetings many times and have enjoyed the discussions.

Posted by
26 posts

I love this idea and will try to attend. 50% chance, as I will be between trips and trying to juggle a lot of things. Thanks so much for your efforts to launch a group.

Posted by
4616 posts

Christine, looking forward to seeing you there!
Mark G, we'll look forward to meeting you and your wife if you can make it!
Anne, I know what you mean about the juggling that happens between trips. I hope you can make it; and if you can't make this one, we'll look forward to seeing you at a future meeting!

And Susan, thank you for your support in starting this new group. I can only hope ours will be as successful as yours is!

Posted by
10222 posts

Congrats on getting the new group started. Our Sacramento group always has fun. I (maybe hubby too) will try to make it. It's possible we will be obligated to something else that day. We are currently traveling and return home in a week. I should have more information by then and will let you know.

Posted by
9420 posts

CW, you are so gracious. You are most welcome, happy to help. Knowing you, i know your group will be very successful and a lot of fun!

Looks like you already have quite a crowd coming, very soon you may have to look into renting the Oakland Coliseum... !!

Posted by
4616 posts

Andrea and Susan - it's so great to have the support of local and long-time group leaders, thank you!

Yes, I'm delighted with the interest. Fortunately I chose the Starbucks because it has a nice-sized outdoor seating area. I hear the Coliseum will have some additional availability though, so it's good to have that as a backup!

Posted by
9420 posts

Yes, kinda empty in there these days... and the rental rates are a bargain now!

Posted by
2030 posts

Hi, I too am about 50/50 on whether I will attend. I will give you a more firm update the week of the 24th.
Thank you for doing this!
Betty

Posted by
10222 posts

Sadly I won't be able to make the meeting after all. Maybe next month will work out. I hope you have a great meeting!

Posted by
4616 posts

Betty - it will be great if you can make it, and if not this month then hopefully another!
Andrea - I understand, you weren't sure if you'd be able to make it this month. Hopefully September will work out!

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you for arranging this. I will be there and might have a friend join. We were on the Heart of Ireland tour this summer and it was fantastic!

Posted by
4616 posts

Nancyschild - I'm so glad you'll be there and I hope your friend can make it as well. It will be great to hear about your Heart of Ireland tour!

Posted by
172 posts

Orinda is a little far for us, but we are interested in joining a travel group. Is the one that was meeting in Larkspur still occurring? I have not seen any info on it for awhile.
Thanks

Posted by
9420 posts

Hi Karen, Yes, my group still meets in Larkspur. I’ll send you a PM.

Posted by
9420 posts

Bumping this thread back to the 1st page so more people will see it... : )

Posted by
5697 posts

For anyone taking BART. note that there will be track work Orinda> Walnut Creek on weekends August through September. May be freeway backup as well. Plan for delays!

Posted by
4616 posts

Laura B - that's an excellent point, thank you for that reminder!

Posted by
10222 posts

It turns out that the event I thought was on the 24th is now scheduled on the 25th. I'm going to try to make the meeting. My hubby may come along.

Posted by
4616 posts

For everyone's benefit, the Bart work planned for the weekends will not be taking place the weekend of August 24th:
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/BART-work-will-close-track-and-lanes-from-Orinda-14301617.php

All lanes of Highway 24 should be open and Bart should be running between Orinda and Walnut Creek. Of course, that may change depending on the work, so please check for updates. If I learn of a change that will impact drivers or riders, I'll post again.

Current highway lane closures are planned for the weekends of Aug. 17-18, Aug. 31-Sept. 2, Sept. 14-15, Sept. 28-29, Oct. 12-13 and Oct. 26-27.

The closures will impact our September 14th meeting.

Posted by
4616 posts

Hello East Bay Travelers,

If your status has changed for our first meeting this Saturday, August 24th, please let me know so that I can get enough seats.

Thank you and see you on Saturday!

Posted by
10222 posts

My husband and I are definitely coming.

Posted by
4616 posts

Marvelous, thanks Andrea, looking forward to meeting both of you!

Posted by
2030 posts

Hi CW -- Sharyn and I will be attending. Looking forward to it!
Betty

Posted by
4616 posts

Wonderful, see you Saturday!

We're at 13 (Edit: now 16) "yes" and some "maybes" still out there, with a few people who are traveling but planning to join us in September.

Posted by
10222 posts

Betty, I'm looking forward to seeing you and SharYn. I'm also looking forward to meeting new people who love to travel.

Posted by
1307 posts

Andrea and Jim — you both are a big draw for me!
Looking forward to seeing you both.
💕
SharYn

Posted by
10222 posts

SharYn, you are too sweet. A word of 'warning' to those new to travel groups, be prepared to become friends with those you meet. 😊

Posted by
4616 posts

For those who are taking Bart tomorrow, I'm reading that the delays may be 20-30 minutes due to single tracking around the track replacement work.

Looking forward to meeting 16 new travel loving friends tomorrow!

Posted by
4616 posts

Thank you everyone who attended our first East Bay Travel Group meeting. What a great group of dedicated travelers!

Thanks to Andrea and Jim for driving down from Sacramento. It was great to have you at our inaugural meeting. Thanks to both the new travel group members and the travel group veterans alike for bringing your travel enthusiasm!

Thank you everyone for being so easy-going about the change of venue. Special thanks to Lauri who single handedly saved our tables while we regrouped. I spoke to the lovely owners of Gepetto's Café, and they will be happy to have us back each month. Wife Jenny said I could call her ahead to reserve our tables; I get the impression she "runs" the place :-)

For those of you who aren't traveling, we'll see you at our new location on September 14th!
(I will post a new notice as the date approaches.)

Geppetto's Cafe
87 Orinda Way, Orinda, CA 94563
outdoor patio, weather pemitting

Posted by
2299 posts

hey hey
thank you CW and Farrah for a great meeting. first time for me and was happy to meet all of you. nice place for the meeting and free parking on the street.
will be traveling to france next month so won't be there. have safe travels all who are traveling soon.
aloha

Posted by
10222 posts

We had a wonderful time. It was nice to see both familiar faces and to meet new people who love to travel as much as we do. Catherine, thanks for welcoming us.

Posted by
1507 posts

Thank you, CW, for a great meeting. This was a first meeting for us and we both enjoyed meeting fellow travelers. Looking forward to hearing about everyone's upcoming trips, though we won't be at the next meeting.

Posted by
2 posts

I’ll attend Nov 9 meeting. I’ll miss the Sept 14 date since I’ll be in Turkey with the Best of Turkey Tour!

Posted by
4616 posts

Carol, it was great to meet you. We'll look forward to seeing you again for future meetings!

Eleni, welcome to the forum! We look forward to meeting you in November and hearing about your tour!