Please sign in to post.

(In Person) East Bay (SF area) Travel Group Meeting - Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Our first in-person meeting in quite a while!!

WHEN: Tuesday, August 9, 1-3pm (Pacific time)

WHERE: outdoors, the Veranda shopping center, Concord, CA
- near the fountain, which is between Crepe La Fontaine and the movie theater.

• I hope to get a picnic table, if they have umbrellas, and otherwise one (or 2) of the tables near the fountain.
  • The picnic tables can seat 8 or 10 people, but please reply on this thread so that I know who to expect.
  • Food and drink are available at a variety of eateries near the fountain, or (at this venue) you can bring your own.
  • as a Plan B, you could each bring a camp chair, just in case we can't get enough seating, but that's a backup plan.
  • there is an enormous free parking lot surrounding the shopping area and near the fountain.

Future meetings (2nd Saturdays except as noted):

September 10, 2022 @ 11am PT, online
October 29, 2022 @ 11am PT, online (4th Saturday due to my travels)

Posted by
1307 posts

(Raises hand!)
It will be wonderful to see people in person!

Posted by
4604 posts

Great, glad you can all make it!

Carol, I'll look forward to chatting with you and Tony to get more ideas for my rescheduled Portugal trip.

Posted by
1506 posts

No need to ask, we're always ready to talk 😉

Posted by
4604 posts

Oh good, because I'm in the mood to hear everything.

I just rebooked my canceled return flight, so now I can get back to the fun of researching activities and restaurants!

Posted by
1506 posts

I don't remember if you're going on a tour or independent trip to Portugal. Do you know which towns you're visiting?

Posted by
4604 posts

This is an independent trip, expanded from 2 cities for 14N in July, Lisbon and Porto, to add Coimbra in the October version for 18 total nights:

8N Lisbon with day trip to Sintra (Lisbon Riders)
4N Coimbra
6N Porto with day trip to Braga and/or Amarante

And I'm on the waitlist for one RS tour within my dates, which I'm less inclined to consider as I make more of my own plans.

Posted by
1506 posts

Sounds like a great trip! Looking forward to discussing it.

Posted by
4 posts

Not sure whether I will be able to join you, but I am preparing for a My Way tour of France in September. Hooray!! I am so stoked to return to Europe. I understand that 97% of RS tourists are not catching Covid, and I hope not to be among the 3%. Good travels to all!

Posted by
4604 posts

Happy planning, safe travels and we'll look forward to hearing about your My Way Tour!

Posted by
4604 posts

Table for 4 at present. Anyone else joining for our outdoor meeting?

Posted by
1506 posts

What happened to Mln and Avi? We two are still on. We're thinking of take out from the Greek restaurant. Have you eaten there?

Posted by
1307 posts

This will be so fun!
As it happens, I'm not working tomorrow after all and I will try to arrive by 12:30.

Posted by
4604 posts

That's great news, SharYn! I'll be there at least by 1230 myself.

Carol, I've not tried the Greek place. Only ever the crepe place and I've always been too stuck on it to try anywhere else. The big decision will be whether to get a sweet crepe or a savory one. Or both 😁

🤞🤞 for mln and avi - and anyone else who would like to join!

Posted by
303 posts

I just checked with Avi and anticipate arriving ~ 12:30 - 12:45 depending on BART.

Posted by
2456 posts

Yes, mln and I seem to be well synchronized, so long as BART plays along nicely!
Depending on how hot it is I may want to work in some walking around.

Posted by
4604 posts

Terrific! Anne S will be joining as well. So one of the picnic tables should do nicely. I'll be bringing a sunhat, as I don't recall whether those have umbrellas. It's possible we'll have enough muscle to pull 2 of the (quite heavy) tables and umbrellas together.

I should be there around 12:30 as well.

We shall miss you out-of-towners, but look forward to seeing you back online in September!

Posted by
2456 posts

I just checked the weather, so I will be wearing shorts and sandals. Fair warning.

Posted by
4604 posts

I will be wearing long pants, probably long sleeves, a hat, sunglasses and I might still find somewhere to add a touch of sunscreen! 😎😎

Posted by
4076 posts

Have fun today! Wish I were there (some day….), but at least I am home after a really long day yesterday!

If you are talking luggage, pass along my new love for my Apple AirTag. I checked my suitcase and followed it with each of my 4 flights - it never made it on the final flight late last night but I could see that and so didn’t stress. I could see it sitting in Terminal C where I landed. Right now I can see it has made its way to Terminal E for a morning flight home. :)

Posted by
32746 posts

Enjoy your F2F today guys,

I will be wearing shorts (already am), short sleeves, no hat (indoors hiding from a Health Warning ridiculous heatwave - good thing I bought 2 air conditioners, one for the living room and one for the bedroom (1st run for bedroom one last night)), no sunglasses indoors but my regular glasses change automatically and I had to slather on tons of sunscreen yesterday while waiting in car in the sun for wife coming out of a med appt.

Just thought I'd provide local colour (red and pink). 🌞🌡

Posted by
4604 posts

TexasTravelMom, very cool about the Apple AirTag. Nice benefit that you don't have to wait around until the dreary end of the luggage parade wondering if yours made it. I will get mine the minute they have something for Android.

Welcome home!

Posted by
4604 posts

Nigel, I wondered whether there might be a run on AC units in the UK. Glad you managed to snag a couple. We shall toast you in the cool of your living room, beachy outfit and all!

My area has had the most delightful ocean breezes, making my back yard quite "fresh" in the mornings and evenings. It's terrific, and unexpected after the last few years. Still it will be high 80s midday and that's hard on those who live nearer the water than I do.

Posted by
32746 posts

My area has had the most delightful ocean breezes, making my back yard quite "fresh" in the mornings and evenings. It's terrific

yeah, no jealousy here

Posted by
2456 posts

To add to the great in-person company today, we were right next to Concord's version of the dancing waters, and I got to scratch my itch for an organic milkshake. Double bonus!