Please sign in to post.

(In-person) East Bay (SF area) Travel Group Meeting - Sat, July 10, 2021

**Please join our East Bay (San Francisco area) Travel Group meeting!

WHEN: Saturday, July 10, 2021 @ 11am-1:00pm (Pacific time)

WHERE: Geppetto's front patio

A couple of us will get there early to secure tables. Due to anticipated space limitations, everyone who has attended one of our in-person and online meetings is welcome. Newcomers will be welcome at our next virtual meeting.

Please RSVP on this thread so that I have a count.
We can reasonably seat 10 or 12 people on their front patio. Beyond that, it just depends who else is there. So if you find you cannot make it, please let me know so that I know how many chairs to try to claim.

Reminder: there is no outside food or drink allowed, as a courtesy to this business that has struggled, like so many others.

TOPICS:
2021 and 2022 travel plans, US or international, where are you headed?
For those who are planning travel, how are you sorting through the varying travel requirements and restrictions?
Are you booking flights or waiting? Which airlines and what flexibility are they offering for new bookings?
"Events" for our meetings - guided tours? other?

Future meetings (2nd Saturdays except as noted)
August 28, 2021 @ 11am PT (changed to be online - too hot!)
September ??, 2021 @ 11am PT (Date and location TBD)
October 9, 2021 @ 11am PT

Posted by
2458 posts

I've noted it on my calendar and right now it looks like the timing will work out for me - looking forward to saying hi to everyone.

I'm wondering out loud if there happens to be a virtual event going on from someone in the guides' marketplace that interests us could you bring an iPad to the cafe so we might follow along -- an example is that Jorge Roman has been doing wonderful walks at major spots in Spain.

Posted by
5697 posts

August and September virtual or Gepetto ?
We plan to be there on July 10.
Lauri and Ed

Posted by
1507 posts

We plan to be there, too! It will be great to see everyone!

Posted by
4616 posts

Laura B, glad you'll make it! I've added "Geppetto's" to the August meeting. I'm figuring out my travel plans for September and will update the notes once I've finalized dates. I do want to host another virtual meeting so that we can see our friends from further afield

Carol - YAY!! That is great news to hear that you'll make it.

Posted by
4616 posts

Avi - I'd like to brainstorm ideas like this. I checked Jorge's events .... the one I found in March went live at 9am PT. Frankfurt on Foot has group tours at 10am German time .... we'd have to meet at Geppetto's at 1am :-) With timing likely to be an issue for live events, I'm not sure folks will want to drive to Orinda to watch a replay. I have given some thought to hiring a guide in Europe to give our local group a "live from Europe" tour, but again, I'm not sure it makes sense to hold that in Orinda, vs online. And besides, Rick Steves does a much better job at this on Monday Night Travel than I ever could. I've also considered planning something as a group in Berkeley or San Francisco so that we can be tourists in our own city.

Let's talk about possibilities at the meeting and see what everyone thinks. Comments also welcome on this thread.

Posted by
745 posts

Hi Catherine,
I'll be there and will arrive early to help secure tables. Looking forward to hearing about future travel plans!
Christine

Posted by
4616 posts

Thanks so much, Christine! I really appreciate your help in getting tables for everyone.

Posted by
662 posts

I plan to be there. I can also be there early to secure tables if needed.

Posted by
4616 posts

Barbara N, so glad you can make it!
A couple of us will get there about 20-30 minutes ahead. If you can join 10 or 15 minutes early, that should help us secure another table. Thank you.

Posted by
4616 posts

Request to everyone to please RSVP by this Wednesday, July 7th. We're not quite back to the days of crowding around a few small tables and we'll be sitting on the cooler front patio for this meeting, which isn't as spacious.

Posted by
4616 posts

Looking forward to seeing you, Christa!

Last call .... anyone else joining us this Saturday? Please RSVP today.

Posted by
1507 posts

Great meeting with lots of interesting conversation and fun catching-up. Yes, it was a small group and it was warm but it was still a great get-together!
Thanks, Catherine, for organizing it!

Posted by
4616 posts

It was great to get together and actually be talking about some travel plans!

Sorry that we missed some of you!

Note for August: we will be meeting online, where it's cooler :-)

Posted by
662 posts

Sorry to all that I missed the meeting. I had been really looking forward to seeing everyone, but then I got caught up in several urgent things I needed to take care of yesterday, including a garage door motor that failed early yesterday morning.