Please sign in to post.

Great Britain Ireland France w/kids July 2017

My wife won two tix to London so we are taking our first Europeon vacation with the kids.

We have up to 3 weeks. Goals
Great Brittain, Scotland Ireland France.
With maybe 4-5 days each. I know we can't see all of any of them so would like some highlights that are kid friendly like distilleries, breweries and wineries!!!

We are busy watching Steves shows and delighted to have found the website and you wonderful world travelers!!

Posted by
11507 posts

honestly.. I would cut out one destination. I know , you are thinking but "we have up to three weeks".. well , lets cut that down. First off.. you leave one day from States and arrive in Europe the next day. That day you are pretty beat so arrival day most folks aren't up and running at full speed yet .
Then , every time you move you are spending minimally a half day.. likely more in the move. Even a short move.. like say London to Paris.. its only 2.5 hours by Eurostar. But.. you have to check out of London hotel and get to train station, arriving about an hour before.. so lets assume 1.5 hours from leaving hotel to getting on the train.. plus the 2.5 hours , that's four hours, now you have to get from train station in Paris to your hotel there.. so you are looking at about 4.5 hours for the fastest transfer.. ( which is train as once you start flying, like you would to Ireland, you have to add airport commuting time and the longer wait you have to be at airports before you fly )

So really , if you cut it down to three moves and three places it would be much much better, especially since aren't an experienced traveller and will have kiddos along .
Ps how old are kids?

Also.. how many kids. If you have three it changes things again ( I have three and Europe is not family of 5 friendly.. lol )

All the places you have picked.. there is so much to see.

Posted by
4729 posts

One can easily spend three weeks in one of those places. Perhaps you can pick three locations and do day trips from each. The locations should depend on the main interest of those going on the trip. No need to base in one place if there isn't anything of interest to the group around there . Possible bases are London, Edinburgh, Dublin, or ?? Just depends on what you want to see the most. Pat is definitely right about going from place to place. It almost always takes longer than one anticipates.

Posted by
2 posts

I am very interested in the responses to this inquiry. We are doing the exact same thing (or were hoping to).

3 children
11, 9, 6

1st time to Europe - 16 days in late May.

Wanted to spend at least 2 full days in Paris. The rest in UK.

Why is Europe not "family of 5 friendly"?

TIA!

Posted by
2461 posts

Have you noticed that this question is under the Travel Group Meetings page? It might be better to post it under the General Europe under Destination Q&A.

Judy B.

Posted by
4 posts

@Judy, yes TY new user error.

Kids 12 & 14.

I just figured out the The Open Championship (golf) is in July There goes 4 days, haha.

And yes I can see why you would say pare down # of countries but we don't have to see all of each country but I like other posts that suggest basing in a city and go from there. So maybe instead of 3 spots in a country just one city.

Posted by
449 posts

If you're planning on visiting the Open Golf championship I'd look at the ticket packages now. They can sell out. And its at Royal Birkdale this year, near Liverpool, which is a great city to visit.

Which airports are you flying into and out of? If the golf visit is at the beginning or end of the trip, then Manchester airport could make sense for arrival or departure .
Agree with others that less is more and better to find three main bases rather than four. There's such a lot to do in London that I would base there for a good chunk of time - its also a good jumping off point for day trips out of the city.

Katy

Posted by
1443 posts

I am assuming that you are planning a summer trip because of kids out of school. I would make things easily by staying in UK and avoiding all the fuss about catching ferries and trains. Rent a minivan and go camping. You are saying we don't want to rough it. But check out the campgrounds with cabins and cottages. Lots of other young families with kids to play with and activities such as boating available. Scotland, Wales and England have a bunch. You will have to be civilized a little in London: Check apartments. Don't forget Wales: they have the best real castles....the kids will love them. Warwick Castle is something different: they have jousting tournaments. Tower of London: Fabulous. Chester and York: walled cities. Edinburgh: Huge Castle. Look at National Trust UK site for great ideas for family friendly activities. Save France for when they are a little older. If you do go to Ireland go to Belfast and see the Titanic Museum: it is a multimedia experience.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks Kathleen, Pat et al,

I was going to say 6 cities but it is shrinking fast. Love the camping idea. Little nervous about that planning but can see how great it could be. Almost saying au revoir to Paris. I feel I owe it to my wife. Last time we were there traveling through France to Italy we popped out from underground train station like gophers to see the Eifel tower for 3 minutes.

Posted by
11507 posts

Centsablmom , families of five struggle in Europe as most hotel rooms will not acomadate them , most rental cars are small .

It is one reason my hubby and I decided to forgo a family trip to Europe with our three kids and instead each on of us took one on one trips to Europe with each child .

Posted by
11507 posts

Butlerdeals , your children are old enough to be in on this , the planning etc .

Each one of my kids was responsible for listing three sites in each city o took them to that they wanted to see . This gives them a say in the trip, minimizes whining etc . My dd was 11 and my boys were 13 , all managed to Google " things to do in---" and come up with ideas . This of course can backfire like when my son discovers the Catavombs in Paris and I had to take him , I am mildly claustrophobic so was not my idea of fun, but a deal is a deal , and then he didn't get to whine when I wanted to visit another church !