Please sign in to post.

When to buy plane tickets

Hello, I'm looking to buy airplane tickets from one European city to another. I was wondering when I should purchase plane tickets, sooner rather than later.

Thank you.

Posted by
19959 posts

If you will be using a discount airline (Easyjet, Ryanair, etc), the prices will only go up as you approach your travel date, so earlier is better.

Posted by
1068 posts

There are many opinions on this subject. As someone who used to watch flights, compare websites, read the articles, delete the cookies, etc. etc., my favorite recent article reported that the airline algorithms for setting ticket prices are so complex currently, we can never figure them out. I usually buy mine at least 6 months out. Once in a while I miss a break, once in a while I get a break. I figure it all evens out in the end.

Posted by
250 posts

It is impossible to predict when prices will go up or down. If you can get a break, don't hesitate to pounce on it.

Posted by
168 posts

Thank you so much for your responses, I just wasn't to sure about tickets from city to city within Europe. Thanks again.

Posted by
32197 posts

Raymond,

As Sam mentioned in the first reply, fares for budget airlines in Europe often operate on a "sliding scale", with prices increasing as the flight fills up. Therefore those that purchase early get the best prices. One other point to keep in mind is that the cheapest tickets are usually non-refundable and non-changeable once purchased (unless you want to pay extra for "Flex" fares).

Posted by
168 posts

Thank you all, it helped with buying my tickets, really good prices this time around. Thanks again.