Please sign in to post.

When to but air tickets for travel to Amsterdam in April 2011

Hi

Planning a trip to low countries in April 2011. Wonder what a good airfare might be and when folks would recommend puchasing for best prices

Thanks as always

Mike DC

Posted by
7539 posts

Depends where you are flying from, and of course airline ticket prices can be volitale, but since April is still sort of the low season prices should be low to middle of the range. From where I am at(middle of the country), using a regional airport, connecting through a hub, I would be happy paying maybe $800 RT with all taxes and fees included. If there are deals, I might see as low as $600, rarely ever lower than that. Right now, that route is coming up about $1000, sort of the typical rate. If you are in a Hub or on the East coast, those numbers would be maybe a $100/$200 lower, on the West coast maybe the same higher.

I generally will start tracking prices, so if I see a deal, I can jump on it(and know it's a deal), but I usually do not plan on purchasing a ticket until about 12 weeks (give or take a few weeks) before my trip. (so Dec-Jan for you)

I will add that the goal is to get a comfortable price in your head, when you see it, buy it, then do not look back. If you are always trying to get the "Best" deal, you usually will not, missing out on many "Good" deals along the way.

Posted by
190 posts

Thank you James, Paul, and Steve-great tips as always

Mike DC

Posted by
3112 posts

I agree with Paul, if you can find something around $600 R/T in April, that would be a great rate and you should jump on it. I would start monitoring in November and would buy when you see a fare you can live with. I often find good spring rates as early as November/December, although it's sometimes January before sales kick in. Bing has a fare predictor that could be another handy monitoring tool.