Please sign in to post.

What to do from 0700 to 1500 in Munich, after train arrives?

If an overnight train arrives in Munich at around 0630 but you can't check into your hotel until 1500, what do you do with yourself and your luggage (if the hotel won't hold it) all day? Is there SECURE luggage storage anywhere? Anywhere to get semi-cleaned up in case we don't have a shower in our train compartment?

Posted by
19092 posts

Munich has lockers, plenty of them. The rooms with lockers are just off the end of track 26. In the hall way behind the open shed of the station, the is also a check room (Gepäckaufbewahrung) where you can leave items to large to fit in the lockers or for multiple days.

Posted by
75 posts

Thanks so much, Lee! I did find that on the Hauptbahnhof website just as the hotel emailed me back and said they do have a luggage room and would be willing to store our bags until check-in time (amazing quick response from them, considering it is in the middle of the night there!) Which do you think is safer - train station storage or hotel? We certainly won't leave any valuables - just clothes and toiletries. I'm leaning toward the more expensive sleeper train compartment with a shower, so we can be ready to explore come arrival in Munich after we drop off our bags!!! Ya'll are awesome on here!

Posted by
19092 posts

This page shows (in German) to cost of the check room and lockers. The check room charges €5 per piece per day; the lockers are €3 and €5 depending on size. My wife and I were able to put both of our RS convertible carryon bags in one locker. It was a small one, if I remember. You can see a layout of the station here. The check room is in blue and has a symbol of a suitcase with a shelf above it.

Posted by
3049 posts

All of the big train stations in Germany have a shower/bathroom facility. It costs a few Euros to shower, not sure how clean or convenient it is, but it's good to know about it.

Posted by
19092 posts

The bathroom/shower facilities, to which Sarah refers, are at the bottom end of the escalators to the S-Bahn station, also near the end of track 26. In 2000, the price was DM10,- (~€5). I don't know what it is now.

Posted by
337 posts

If the facilities are subcontracted to "McClean," as they usually are in DB stations, then the shower is 7 Euro per 20 minutes. You'll get towels and a bit of liquid soap. McClean is generally clean, but it isn't a spa by any stretch of the imagination. They're basic, no-frills showers so travelers and, yes, homeless people can clean themselves.

Posted by
75 posts

Great info - thanks! We will use the showers in the train station (one at a time, with the other two of us guarding valuables) then have the hotel hold our luggage 'til check-in time. We'll make it work. It's vacation, right??? :)

Posted by
23261 posts

Although your hotel says the check in time is 1500 our experience has been that you can check in anytime and the vast majority of time the room is ready. If the room is not ready, the hotel will storage your luggage. We have checked in as early as 8 AM with no problems I would trust the hotel luggage storage. We have use it dozens of times without problems.

Posted by
8939 posts

First of all I think I would email the hotel and ask about early check-in. If the room wasn't occupied the day before, you might be able to go ahead and check in. They can let you know if this is possible. Hotels will of course let you leave your luggage there. Why pay for luggage storage at the train station?

Posted by
75 posts

Jo, they said they would store our luggage until check-in at 1500. Said no early check in (at Adagio Muenchen City)....I'll still try when we get there though! :)

Posted by
32731 posts

They may very well be serious about no early check in. The Adagio chain are not hotels, they are short term apartments. They tend to have fewer desk staff and my experience is that they tend not to bend their rules a lot.

Posted by
12172 posts

Like Frank says, almost all hotels (even the little ones) will let you drop your bags if your room isn't ready for check-in. Often, but not always, I'll go to drop bags and find out the room is ready for check-in.