Please sign in to post.

Vueling Airlines

Looking to fly from Paris to Zurich in March 2012 on Vueling Airlines who look to be a low cost airline no disrespect because they are way cheaper than anyone else. There reviews online are mixed but has any one any thoughts or suggestions

Posted by
9099 posts

Vueling Airlines has a good reputation in general. But have you considered taking the train. There are direct high-speed TGV trains that will take you to Paris in just under five hours. When you take into consideration security, check-in times, and the time spent getting to/from the airports, the train will actually be faster, and certainly less stressful. The schedules/fares for March 2012, aren't available yet, but you can often get restricted discount train fares for around 50 CHF.

Posted by
9363 posts

Low cost airlines sometimes get bad reviews because people who take the flights don't pay close attention to their rules and regulations, and get caught out with overweight bags, or too many bags, or not following check-in procedures. Vueling is well respected among budget choices - just make sure that you know and follow their restrictions.

Posted by
8700 posts

I agree with Michael. Take the train. You'll have a relaxing ride in roomy seats and can enjoy seeing the countryside at ground level rather than at 30,000 feet. If you book well in advance (up to three months allowed) at tgv-europe.com, you can get a discount fare as low as €39. To keep the site in English and to avoid being bumped to the Rail Europe site which doesn't offer discount fares, choose Great Britain as your ticket collection country. If you are given the option of printing your own ticket, do so. Otherwise you can pick up your ticket at any SNCF station or boutique in France (even though you listed Great Britain). New timetables go into effect throughout Europe on 12 December. SNCF (French National Rail) should have them uploaded some weeks prior to that date. The schedules are likely to be the same then as they are now.

Posted by
16 posts

Hi, I plan to take Vueling Air fr Rome to Paris in Jan 2012. But it seems like they have very strict rules when it comes to luggage. Any idea what is the max weight of checked in luggage? A quick search in the website that hand luggage is limited to 10kgs with a specific dimension. Does it mean only one hand luggage per passanger?

Posted by
11507 posts

I flew from Paris to Rome with Vueling,, I searched budget airlines carefully, and one thing that sold me is they use new planes,, as opposed to some budget airlines that buy second hand ones and "recondition " them. I read the information carefully on the website when I booked( I honestly think some people get lazy with this) and was aware of baggage allowences and charges.. when i flew you were allowed one bag under a certain amount( can't remember what it was now) and I had heard they are VERY strict about that,, so if you show up at the gate and your bag was over they would "gate check "it and it would cost even more then if you just paided a set fee ahead of time(I think it was 10 or 15 euros) .. So i paid the extra WHEN i bought my ticket. As it turned out my bag was fine,, but I was glad I had paid up front,, I absolutely would use them again. At first i had trouble booking online using my CC and eventually phoned them, and the clerks I dealth with were very nice and professional, glad I didn't give up. Train would have cost me over 300 euros ( summer high season night train) I flew instead for 80 euros,, even with hotel night i still came out ahead.

Posted by
931 posts

We alwsys fly the lo-cost inter-EU budget airlines for trips within Europe, and have never had any problems, (other than when I violated a weight restriction!)but it is just like Nancy says; "read their rules". Almost all of them limit you to one carry-on; not a personal item and a carry on...ONE item only. MJ, go to the Vueling website and read their rules; size and weight restrictions (50 lb for checked) are clearly spelled out. When we flew with them this June, I made sure that I did not exceed their restrictions. We had no problems. Another thing that I always check is the airport that they use. Some lo-cost airlines uses obsure airports; and you need to arm yourself with transportation connection knowledge.

Posted by
646 posts

Used Vueling Airlines last year Naples to Barcelona. I did have to check my carry on luggage. They have very strict luggage guidelines as do all the budget airlines. The flight was pleasant, and on time. I would use them again.

Posted by
84 posts

I flew Vueling from Barcelona to Paris and was pleased with the flight. It was comfortable, on time, and a new plane. But like others have said, I would take the train. By the time you factor in getting to and from the airports, getting there early, etc. it won't take much longer.