Please sign in to post.

visiting the Vatican

I am booked for a tour of the Vatican which will finish around 6 pm. That's around sunset. What's the best way to get back to our hotel? I have read that it is hard to get a cab late in the afternoon especially close to dark and closing time for the museum.

Posted by
9 posts

We preferred Uber over taxis in Rome. We went to and from our Vatican tour by bus. We were near a good bus line on via Marmorata on the edge of the Testaccio neighborhood, so that was our preferred transportation.

Posted by
3822 posts

Which hotel. Maybe it is within walking distance. We stayed on he via del Corso and found it was an easy walk almost every where. Otherwise ask you hotel which bus to take.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for the replies so far. We will be in Rome on March 1 and are staying at the Bailey's Hotel. My husband is not going on the Vatican tour so it will be just my nephew and me on this tour. We had planned to take the tour earlier in the day but the company confirmed us for the afternoon time.

Posted by
32710 posts

My favourite bus in Rome can be your friend. The number 492 connects the two points. There is a stop just outside the Vatican City walls and the 492 circles around after it leaves the Vatican City and crosses the river, goes right past Piazza Navona and Campo de' Fiori and then into Termini (on its way eventually to Tiburtina) passing not far from the Trevi Fountain. One stop north of Termini is the Ministry of Finance where the 492 stops and you would then just be a few steps from your hotel on the back of the same street. Buses stop both at the Ministry of Finance and at the XX Septembre/Piave stop on Via Venti Septembre (XX or venti both mean 20 in Italian, or the name of a silly Starbucks drink) and your hotel is just behind these buildings on Via Flavia, a name rooted in ancient history. Either stop will work, and the XX Septembre / Piave stop is right on the corner.

Is there a reason you wanted to use a cab?

Posted by
11302 posts

Nigel is right. The 492 is an excellent route for you.

If you prefer a taxi, I believe the taxi station in Piazza San Pietro will serve you. If there is not a taxi waiting, one will be along presently.