Please sign in to post.

Vienna to Croatia

Hello everyone!

We will be travelling from Vienna to Dubrovnik to meet some friends for part of our journey in April. Do you have any recommendations for travel? I have looked at flight, train, bus etc.. Flight would be the most direct route, and we are not against that option, but figured if we could train to Zagreb, then rent a car to Dubrovnik, we could have more flexibility and also take in more sights. Has anyone done this before that would care to share their experiences? Also, this will be our first time in Croatia and would love to know if there are towns we must stop at on the way down.

Thanks so much!

Posted by
4637 posts

It seems to be a good idea. Go by train to Zagreb and then rent a car to go to Dubrovnik. You got many options where to stop on your way. I would mention just Plitvice and Split.

Posted by
2622 posts

I think Vienna to Zagreb is one of those routes that has low mileage but long train travel times. And that would only get you to Zagreb - you'd then have to get a car and drive to Dubrovnik. How long do you have? Croatia is beautiful and I am a fan of Zagreb (not everyone on this forum is) but you'd need to have plenty of time at your disposal to make this worthwhile. I think that I would probably fly from Vienna to Dubrovnik unless you have at least a week at your disposal.

Posted by
27092 posts

I don't know how reliable Rome2Rio's driving-time estimates are, but it gives about 7 hours for each of those two legs. I guess one factor is whether a-norton expects to do all the Dubrovnik sightseeing after catching up with the friends. That would allow a bit of time for stops along the way without cutting Dubrovnik short. But there might not be much time for Zagreb itself, which I also like a lot. In addition to the very attractive old town, it has some quite nice museums.

I crossed a fair number of Balkan borders by bus last summer, and generally didn't see significant traffic tie-ups. But there was one crossing, I think between Slovenia and Croatia in Istria, where I observed a long line of cars heading to or from beach resorts. That happened on a weekend in August. I imagine that April would not be so risky unless the refugee situation is slowing things down a lot in that area.

If it's not raining and the weather is reasonably warm, April could also be a good time for Plitvice Lakes. The park was so overrun when I was there late last August that I was glad it wasn't my first trip. It was like fighting your way through the Louvre crowds to see the Mona Lisa, only outdoors. I'd skip Plitvice in bad weather if I had only about 6 days to get from Zagreb to Dubrovnik.

Zadar's another possible stop in addition to Split. The historic district is on a peninsula. The city is a manageable size, not the sort of place where you'd get really frustrated about spending less than 3 days there.

A quick trip to an island would be wonderful, but I'd rough out my itinerary first, to see whether there was any time to spare.