Please sign in to post.

VIENNA TO BUDAPEST

Hi! does anyone here know how far is Wien westbahnhof to Wien Meidling? im trying to book a train ticket from Vienna to Budapest. the only direct trains are coming from Wien Meidling. however, we are staying somewhere near Wien westbahnhof. Wien Meidling - Budapest-Keleti 25.05.2013- 18:03- 20:49- 2:46 - RAILJET thank you

Posted by
8125 posts

Nannette: They're 2 1/2 miles apart. The Meidling station is southeast of the Schonbrunn Palace--over the hill beyond the gardens. A cab to the station wouldn't be expensive. Budapest is 150 miles southeast of Vienna, which is a good ride.

Posted by
46 posts

David, oh its not far. i dont need to change our hotel then. i was worried it might be hard for us catching the train from Wien Meidling to Budapest since we are staying in Westbahnhof. we are only spending the night in Budapest before our flight the next day at 8pm. we have a whole day in Budapest to wander around :D thanks for the reply.

Posted by
527 posts

From the Westbahnhof take the U bahn line 6 to Philadelphiabrücke, that is Wien Meidling station. Much cheaper than a cab.

Posted by
17871 posts

Nannette: If you are not in a huge hurry to get to Budapest get a ticket to Gyor and see the Archabbey at Pannonhalma http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pannonhalma_Archabbey
Gyor is on the direct route between Budapest and Vienna (on the direct Budapest train you just zip through Gyor). I understand train tickets tend to be a little cheaper at the station a few days prior to departure. If the tickets on line are costing much more than 29euro (second class) you might want to wait until you get to Vienna.

Posted by
17871 posts

When you arrive in Budapest how were you planning to get to your accomodations? There are some do's and dont's to the train station in Budapest.

Posted by
2393 posts

@James "When you arrive in Budapest how were you planning to get to your accomodations? There are some do's and dont's to the train station in Budapest." I would be interested in the do's & don'ts. Thanks

Posted by
4140 posts

...I would be interested in the do's & don'ts.... I would also be interested .

Posted by
46 posts

Hi! All, thanks for all your replies. already booked our train tickets to budapest. found a time and date leaving at Wien Westbahnhof station. 25.05.2013 17:48 20:49 3:01 RAILJET Wien Westbahnhof - Budapest-Keleti we have not yet book our hotel in Budapest. any suggestion to where we should stay? we are only staying for a night. should we stay close to the airport or stay around KELETI station? thank you