Please sign in to post.

Venice to Switzerland

We are traveling from end of May to mid-June 2013. We will be flying into Venice and out of Zurich. The first 4 nights will be spent in Venice and then we go to Zermatt, Switzerland. I am hoping to secure our train tickets from Venice to Milan (or similar) with super-economy. The last part of our journey will be in Zermatt (3 nights), Wengen (5 nights0, Luzern (3 nights) and Zurich (1 night). I am perplexed on what type of Swiss pass to get...we will be going from destination to destination via train and will most definitely be using cable cars, etc while in Wengen. I'm not sure about Zermatt... what type of transportation to use while there/or if any. Any help ANYONE could give me would be appreciated... we are not on a "super-strict" budget but I don't want to waste money either. Train travel seems to be pretty expensive in Switzerland? Thanks!

Posted by
16259 posts

Hi Mary-In addition to the Super Economy fare from Venice to Milan, you can look for a good fare from Milan to Brig, where you will change trains to head to Zermatt. Normally you would look on Trenitalia for a "Smart" fare; this is the equivalent of the Super Economy fare for cross-border (internations) trains. But if you are going to purchase a Swiss Pass, the fare is actually better if you buy a ticket with that factored in (choose "GA Swiss2" from the Farre Choice menu if your pass is a 2d class pass.) The Smart Fare is 19 euro and the GA fare is 15 euro. Both include the mandatory seat reservation. Trenitalia won't let you combine the two, and you have to enter your pass number to purchasse the GA fare. Now for the Swiss pass. I think in your case it comes down to a choice between a 3-day Flex (Saver) for $234, and a Half-Fare Care which costs 110 CHF but includes no free days. If you choose the Flex, use the 3 covered days to travel from the Italy border to Zermatt; from Zermatt to Wengen; and from Wengen to Luzern. (It isn't worth adding another day on the pass ($50) to include Zurich, because the fare from Luzern to Zurich is less than that). With the Flex Pass, on "non-covered" days all your other travel, including trains, boats, and mountain lifts is 50% off (except for the Jungfraujoch trip which is 25% off above Wengen). Also with the Flex, on the 3 covered days you just write the date on the pass and get on the trainno stop at the ticket window. That has been our pass of choice in 4 trips to Switzerland. The Half-Fare card covers more of the Jungfrau trip (50%) but you must visit the ticket window for each trip-no free days are included.

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks Lola... that helped! I was thinking about getting the regional pass (not sure what it's called Jungfrau Pass or something)... but your suggestion is probably the best. Thanks again!