Please sign in to post.

Venice to Mikonos or Athens - May 23, 2010

Helping my nephew with honeymoon plans. He has booked his flights and nothing else. I am an advid planner and sent him my RS books and maps, etc. also ordered RS money/passport holders for both of them.This their first trip to Europe. I have been to Italy but traveling to Greece from Venice seems to be limited availability on Aegean airlines or some ferry? Any suggestions for them? And experiences with ferries? Thanks

Posted by
32200 posts

Maryann,

A few suggestions to consider......

One possibility for your nephew would be a flight from Verona to Mykonos via Meridiana/Eurofly (an Italian budget airline).

The other possibility would be flights from Milan MXP to either Athens or Mykonos via Aegean, EasyJet or Meridiana/Eurofly. The travel time via train from Venezia S.L. to Milano Centrale is only about 2H:30M, but of course the time from the station to the airport would also have to be factored in.

Please extend congratulations to your nephew and his fiance.

Cheers!

Posted by
7514 posts

My experience with ferries is that they are great for short hops, boring and timeconsuming for long voyages. (Though, I was not on my honeymoon..so stuck in a cabin for that long may not be an issue) Figure from Venice it will be about 30 to 35 hours of travel to Athens, a big chunk out of a week or two trip. While the ferry websites make the ships look like cruise ships, they are far from it, more utilitarian travel, and for that route, you would really need to consider a cabin. Flying will get you directly to Athens (a ferry will get you to Patras, than a train or bus another few hours to Athens). To me, it would be worth shifting my plans to make the Aegean Air Flight on the 24th, you actually would probably get to Athens sooner than if you took the Ferry on the 23rd, plus you get one more night in Venice.