Please sign in to post.

venice to interlaken

Hi All :) I am trying to figure out the best way to get from venice to interlaken by train. I know it is too early to book for our summer travel, but I want to have things lined up and ready and I am having a hard time figuring out how to do this. I think we will get the half off Swiss card and I read somewhere about another offer that includes the journey into Switzerland and the journey out and think this might help save money. Not really sure how to go about this - Trenitalia is not really giving me the answers I need and I really don't know all the station names to input. Is anyone familiar with this route - and what is the best way to buy tickets? Thanks for any help you can offer!
Donna

Posted by
71 posts

Thanks Tim - but I was hoping to just go by train. Our plan is fly into Rome (4 nights), train to Venice (3 nights), train to Lauterbrunnen (7 nights) and then train to Bacharach, Germany (3 nights) - fly home from Frankfurt. In Switzerland we are not moving hotels and plan to spend most of our time in the OB and possibly day trip to Bern and/or Lucerne. My question is how to get from Venice to Interlaken the quickest and easiest way by train :) What is the suggested Route - how do I book? Thanks,
Donna ps. we will be traveling on a Friday

Posted by
3107 posts

EasyJet to Geneva doesn't make any sense if you are going to the Berner Oberland. It's easy by train but a fairly long trip. From Venice, take the direct fast train to Milan. from there there are two route: (1) due north to Brig and Spiez, change there for the train heading east to Interlaken Ost, change there for lauterbrunnen. (2) Milan to Lucerne (direct train available) change there for a train to Interlaken Ost via the scenice golden Pass route. At Interlaken Ost change for lauterbrunnen 9this is a 20 minute trip). Route (1) is probably faster, but I didn't check the schedules. You can do that on the Swiss trains site www.rail.ch It is in English.

Posted by
80 posts

We are making that trip this April-we go from Venice to Milan-there we switch to a train to Spiez in Switzerlandfrom there on a local (30 min) train to Interlocken Ost -where we will catch a private train to Lauderbrunnen I was able to book Venice to Milan as well as Milan to Spiez on the Trenitalia english siteI was also able to book resservations there as well hope this helps Paul

Posted by
8700 posts

Sasha is correct. According to the timetables on the German Rail site, route #1 is faster than route #2. To get the cheapest fares, you have to book the legs separately. Book Venezia Santa Lucia-Milano Centrale up to 90 days in advance at trenitalia.com to get a Mini fare. The actual fare depends upon how fast the discount tickets sell out. Book Milano Centrale-Spiez up to 90 days in advance at trenitalia.com to get a Smart fare of €19.00. Book Spiez-Lauterbrunnen (with a connection at Interlaken Ost) on the Swiss Rail site. The second class fare is 17.60 CHF.

Posted by
71 posts

Thanks everyone! That is exactly what I needed - I have never done this before and I feel like such a rookie. I really appreciate all your knowledge :)

Posted by
3107 posts

Donna, all of us were rookies at one time. By the third day, you won't be one anymore. Have a great time on your trip!