Please sign in to post.

Venice

We plan to stay at the Hotel Ducale outside of the Venice Centre for 1 night.
How far is it from the Hotel to St. Marks and would be be using a Bus for transportation and if so is it costly? Has anyone stayed in this hotel or area before....sounds like it is about 30 minutes away from the Center of Venice....any suggestions about staying a bit closer without paying a lot of $$$ for a Hotel? Any suggestions would be helpful to me....Thanks... DEE

Posted by
8674 posts

You are at least 30 minutes away and that calculation is in distance and doesn't include transportation time to get to the island of Venice. Nor time spent figuring out just how to get to Venice. What's $$$ to you? $100 or more. Then again if St. Mark's Square is all you want to see of Venice then staying outside and traveling into the island might be your best option.

Posted by
4156 posts

Here's what the Hotel Ducale says about your question: http://ducalehotel.com/en/location/ in case you haven't checked that. Google map Venice and use the satellite option. You will see that once you get to the island it's on foot or by a watercraft of some kind to get anywhere. As far as a different lodging goes, if you don't have an RS book for suggestions, try TripAdvisor or Booking.com. Both times I've been in Venice, I've stayed in B&Bs and they seemed quite reasonable Both resources list all kinds of lodgings. Both will return results without a specific date in mind, but to see pricing, you will have to put in your date or a dummy date as an example. There are literally hundreds of lodging options and either resource allows you to limit the results in a number of ways including by type of lodging and location to get started. You can even ask for the San Marco neighborhood if that's where you want to be.

Posted by
32767 posts

I think that the information on the hotel website which I quote, "Favaro Veneto is a small residential center situated in the hinterland of Mestre" says it all. It takes courage to advertise that your so called convenient hotel - the distances they quote to places all appear to be "as the crow flies", not actual traveling distances - as "situated in the hinterland". I wonder how you wound up with this place? It is certainly nowhere near San Marco. You'd be taking a bus to P. Roma, then onto the vaporetto for 16 or 17 stops before you get to San Marco. It is isn't at the airport either - note that their charged for airport transport is only one way. And it isn't in the centre of Mestre either, and nowhere near the station.

Posted by
186 posts

Dee,
I would highly encourage you to find a B&B or hotel on one of the actual islands of Venice and not in Mestre. The distance and transportation issues to get from Mestre to St. Marks are tremendous, especially if you only have one night. There are tons of B&Bs at all price ranges in Venice. The suggestions of trip advisor and booking.com are great. Also try venere.com. Oftentimes the B&Bs near the train station in Venice are a bit less expensive, but still so much closer to St. Marks. Scrimp on food (you can picnic) or get a B&B with the bath down the hall if you need to save money, but try to stay in Venice itself.