Please sign in to post.

Using GPS in France

We are considering buying a GPS in the U.S. to take to France. Will it work there? We're pretty new to this technology so not sure what we need to do to use the GPS overseas.

Where can we buy the "Europe" GPS maps??

Many thanks,
Terry
Austin, TX

Posted by
10344 posts

Most people reporting in here seem to buy the, generally, somewhat more expensive GPS that come pre-loaded with a Europe map.

The advantage to that choice is the ease of not having to hassle with getting a Europe map into a GPS, if you're not familiar with how that's done.

But the downside is that the ones that come with a Europe map are not going to be those sold widely at Costco and similar stores.

It will usually say somewhere on the box if it comes with a Europe map. Many buy these online at the Garmin, Magellan, or Tom Tom websites--these are three of the GPS manufacturers.

Posted by
32198 posts

Terry & George,

I'd suggest buying a GPS that comes equipped with both North American and European Maps. One example of a suitable unit is the Garmin Nüvi 275T which is supplied with the necessary maps. I had a brief look on Amazon, and that model is available as low as ~$150. I'd also suggest taking a good Map for "backup" (I usually use Michelin Maps).

One important point to mention! Try to spend some time and become familiar with the GPS unit BEFORE you travel with it. DON'T trust it implicitly as they do make mistakes on occasion. I always double check the directions provided by the GPS with road signs or local landmarks, just to make sure I'm travelling the correct route.

Happy travels!

Posted by
668 posts

Watch when you buy a GPS that says it comes with both NA and Eur maps. They may do, but some of them make you select which you are going to use when you first power it up and you cannot access the other one once you have made the selection. Make sure you buy one that allows you to use both as well as has both.

Posted by
12040 posts

Another option is to request a GPS with your rental car. Interestingly enough, with some rental agencies (Sixt, Europecar), the presence or lack of a GPS seems to have no bearing on cost. The model of the car seems to be the biggest determinate.

Posted by
4 posts

when I was looking at renting a car in Ireland, GPS came with an extra 10 euro fee. I think that's ok, too.

Posted by
1568 posts

A couple of weeks ago, Comcast had the Garmin 275 T with a $100 instant online rebate.....WITH free Lifetime Updates for North America. Now this is or was a great buy. May check online to see if the sale is still on.

I would not leave home without my Garmin.

Posted by
1064 posts

There is a similar topic to this on the General Europe site.I also bought a Garmin nuvi 275 T with U.S. and European maps. This was last fall. I also purchased the lifetime package of U.S. and European maps for $150. It paid for itself on the first trip this spring. That was the best travel bargain I have ever purchased.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you ALL for the replies - they were very helpful. We decided to purchase the Garmin 1370t (with North American and European maps loaded).

Thanks again and happy travels!
Terry & George