Please sign in to post.

using GPS in Europe

On our last trip to France (Burgundy, Alsace) & French Switzerland in Sept we rented a car but used the Garmin GPS that the rental agency sent us. It was useful less than half the time--mostly very frustrating when it didn't recognize addresses we keyed in. We are planning a long trip to England & Ireland next Sept and will also have a car in both countries. This time we felt we should buy and take our own GPS. Everyone says that the Garmin is the best, but I have doubts. Does anyone have experience that would help us?

Katie,
Potomac, MD

Posted by
1078 posts

Have been using my TomTom(updating it annually) for the past 5years in both the EU and in the U.S. with only 1 odd event which took me to the hotel in Erice, however, couldn't reach it because it was on the other side of a 2m wide arch(which, when I called the hotel, they told me I wasn't the first to experience that problem).
Last year, used it in the U.K., Italy, and Greece, and this year will have it in Turkey(with a tour) and in Sardinia and around Milan for driving.

Posted by
3595 posts

Katie,
I could amuse you for a long time with tales about using our Garmin in Italy, but I'll resist the temptation. Here is a distillation of the wisdom experience has taught us:

Success with a gps is a product of the machine itself and the user's familiarity with it. So, yes, get your own and use it a lot, even when you don't need to, before your trip.

Have a good map as back-up.

Partly due to the vagaries of Italian signage, we found that using a map and taking main highways was best until we got close to our destination. Then the gps was great for getting us into and out of places. Also for finding gas stations, markets, etc.

I can't comment on any comparison between brands. Ours was a gift. If I were buying my own, I'd do some consumer research. I know Garmin has many models and suspect TomTom does, too. I imagine some models are superior to others and that someone has scoped out all of the information you need to make an informed choice.

One bit of knowledge not exactly related to the functioning of a gps is that street and road names in the UK may change very often; i.e., same street, new name after a few blocks. That can be very confusing, with or without modern technology. If the gps says something like, "turn onto X street, continue on Y street;" that's probably the situation. Just a quick name change.

Posted by
10221 posts

I have taken two different Garmin's for use in Ireland, Italy, Germany, Austria and France. I can't compare to other brands, but I have been happy to have the Garmin. I think it's important to also have a paper map and have a general idea of your route. That way if the GPS tries to take you off course you will have a better idea of what to do. I always like to have the address of where I'm staying programmed in. That way I feel more comfortable if I decide to change course, knowing that I can find my way back.

Posted by
1589 posts

One advantage of using a Garmin that you own it that Garmin has a computer program, Base Camp, which is free on their website. It mirrors your GPS device. You can load all your stops into it while you are home and have plenty of time to work around the problem addresses. For example, I will go to a hotel's website and check out where they are on the map they provide. Then I go to Base Camp and put a "favorite" at that point on its map. When I am ready to go on my trip I just download all these points to my Garmin GPS unit.

Posted by
45 posts

Katie:

I think that GPS programs are pretty much what you are used to. I like Garmin products because I have used them for 20 years on my boat. I am familiar with their products so when I bought a GPS for the car it was a no-brainer. Make sure you have the latest updates for the programs. In addition, Rosalyn gave you some good advice. Make sure you have a map to back you up. I also carry a small compass. You also need to keep your wits about you when using a GPS. You are always going to find nuances in the GPS program as JerryG suggested. The GPS is not foolproof.

You do not say how old your experience in France was, but GPS technology has improved in the last couple of years and many cars in Europe come with it. You may need to upgrade the car a bit, but ask for GPS navigation when you rent the car. Also, have the agency help you program the GPS when you pick up the car. I suspect that you will first need to change the language setting to get the GPS to give you instructions in English. My last car rental in Germany came with navigation. I suspect it was Garmin technology as it looked much as I was accustomed to. If my car rental came with a GPS, I seriously doubt whether I would bring my own with me. However, I will have my map and compass.

Posted by
2829 posts

Bringing your own GPS with updated maps of Europe, or buying an offline smartphone/mini-tablet GPS app that works pretty much as a GPS and require no data cellular traffic.

Posted by
1175 posts

We used a Garmin Nuvi that we bought and learned to use stateside before we left for France. We saved to favorites the addresses of our hotels, museums, and restaurants across Normandy we wanted to visit. Our rural B&B had no address but great directions. We used Google-Earth, zeroed in on the driveway to the B&B and saved to favorites that particular spot using the latitude and longitude shown on the bottom of the GE screen , labeling it the B&B. The GPS driving out of Bayeux took us right to the exact spot. We also had a Michelin map of Normandy since the GPS might direct you to take a near cow path when the motorway is the obvious choice. Driving to Mont St. Michel we kept the GPS off until we were quite close to MSM. Having the GPS with saved addresses made our trip hassle free.

Posted by
192 posts

Dear Katie, I have used TOM TOM for many years in Europe,with good results, great in tight streets one ways etc, I have had only one problem and that was with the lighter socket in a Opel Corsa, for some reason never could get a good connection. Therefore I suggest that if you buy any brand, charge it at night just in case. Another post many months ago mentioned that the Hertz office had to use a piece of metal in the socket to get it to work.That is the only problem I have had. For the cost per day of renting a GPS buying one is better, plus you then have it forever, just have to update. FYI, although the TOM TOM with America & Europe maps says lifetime updates, in the very fine print the lifetime is only for America maps.