Please sign in to post.

Updates - France Rail Strike - Nov. 2007

As of Sunday 18/11 19h45 Paris

The rail strike continues into the week.

Metro Lines will be running but with varying levels of service depending upon the lines. Wait times will increase/decrease throughout the day with shortest wait during normal business commute hours.

RER Lines will not be running frequently.

Transfers to and from the Airports:
Rossybus and OrlyBus have been running.
Private Transfer Shuttles or Taxis are recommended.

See http://www.bonjourlafrance.net/air-france/paris-airport-shuttle-service.htm

Additional information: www.ratp.fr (in French)
www.voyages-sncf.com for all other trains (click British flag at the bottom to switch to English)

Posted by
3 posts

Is it likely that there will be a resolution by Monday Nov 19 and normal services resume by Nov 20? We are stuck in Barcelona as none of the train to France are operational.

Posted by
506 posts

Arvind -

Even if there is a resolution on Monday it will take a few days for the system to get back to normal.

I would suggest looking at the SNCF website - www.voyages-sncf.com - there you can see if your particular train is running.

An alternate idea would be to consider flying. There is a low cost carrier (which I have flown) Vueling. They fly non-stop Barcelona to Paris

http://www.vueling.com/EN/

One way leaving today was about 83 Euros per person

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks Jona,
Just made the booking on Vueling from Barcelona to Rome. At Eur 135 for 2 adults + 1 child, it costs same as overnight train fare. I plan to be in Paris on Dec 1. Hope the stikes end by then.

Posted by
506 posts

Just a brief update.

The strike continues today with minimal rail service. However, you are able to get around the city. It is just taking patience.

Yesterday I spent the bulk of my travels by bus and walking. Metros were inefficient altogether from my arrondisment (16th). At times the bus was resembling a can of sardines, but typically everyone was attempting to get to similar areas in town- or where a Metro ligne was running such as the 1.

Today I have ridden a Velib, taken the Tramway and the #4 Metro. I will most likely take the bus this afternoon.

The trend with the strike is that the bulk of the service is happening between 7h00 and 11h00 - then things really slow down until about 15h30 or 16h00. By 21h00 there is minimal service again.

Suggestion for bus -

72 runs along Rue Rivoli from Chatelet to Porte de St. Cloud. This will take you along all the major areas such as the Louvre, Place de Concorde - But do get off at Pont Alma -near the Eiffel Tower etc.

Posted by
12040 posts

Any updates on how bad the sabotage damage was? Any repair estimates given?

Posted by
506 posts

Regarding the sabotage - time tables have not been given however this is what France24 is reporting:

In the southeast region of France, a large fire set to electrical cables damaged 30 km of the signalling system.

In a statement, SNCF listed several acts of arson, including a "very large" blaze on the Atlantic branch that damaged a large section of the signal network.

The article here on BBC gives a map of the area to help you in your understanding.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7105045.stm

Paris did have a lovely weather day - about 55 with sunshine - perfect day for a walk by your favorite Metro station :o)

Posted by
3 posts

Hello Jona, I am now having second thoughts of visiting Paris on Dec 1. Geting into and out of Paris by train will be a headache. At the way talks are progressing it may be a few weeks before things get back to normal.
Regards,
Arvind