Please sign in to post.

Unable to book night train from Salzburg to Florence for May 2012

I am trying to make a night train reservation from Salzburg to Florence for the last week of May. But I am unable to make the online reservation, I tried the OEBB site as well as Trenitalia. Is there any restriction on these kind of reservation ? How does one go about make this reservation online. Any help in this regard would be very much appreciated. Also is this a right time to buy the tickets ? I ready some of the response where it was mentioned 2 months in advance to get the discounted fare. Thank you.

Posted by
1840 posts

A ticket clerk in Salzbburg mistakenly misunderstood my pronunciation of Ulm and worked up a ticket to Rome. She showed me the screen and the ticket was about 530E. That's a lot of money. Any ticket you can find before you get there will be cheaper so I hope somebody can help you.

Posted by
1525 posts

I believe the window is 92 days. So perhaps May 26 might work, but not May 27?? Not sure how exact they are. But beyond 92 days +/- you cannot buy tickets anywhere on Trenitalia. Just wait a bit longer.

Posted by
3 posts

This does not seem due to the +/- 92 days restriction. I have already
Reserved a ticket for a later date from Florence to Venice and from Venice to Rome. The has something to do with the ticketing between Salzburg(Austria) and Florence (Italy). Just to try it out, I changed the dates to April and even March, but the site would not allow me to book online. Do I have to call the OEBB call center to make the booking since the online booking option is not available?. If anyone has any past experience travelling on this leg then please let me know. Thank you.

Posted by
19092 posts

Tickets are currently available for purchase on the German Rail (Bahn) website through May 27. The Bahn won't sell you a ticket from Salzburg to Florence because both ends of the connection are outside Germany, but if you use Freilassing, Germany, instead of Salzburg, you can get tickets. (Freilassing is across the Salzach River from Salzburg, an 8 min, €2,20/p trip from Salzburg Hbf.) The ticket will be for a regional express (RE) from Freilassing to Rosenheim, where you will meet the night train from Munich. BTW, on the Austrian Rail website, it shows a connection leaving Salzburg at 20:12, using an EC to Klagenfurt and an EN to Florence. That connection does not seem to be bookable online, but there is another connection by EN from Salzburg at 1:34 AM to Venice Mestre with a EuroStar from there to Florence. I was able to go with the booking process up to having to input my credit card number.

Posted by
3 posts

Hi Lee, Thanks for taking the trouble to look the website. I was finally able to get the reservation done. I did it as two separate tickets A) Salzburg at 20:12, using an EC to Klagenfurt
B) Klagenfurt to Florence at 23:47 Thanks again for your help.