Please sign in to post.

Ugh - Seattle to Paris on Delta at $1780??

So unlike my normally long-planned trips, I need to buy two roundtrip tickets from Seattle to Paris, June 26th to July 23rd. I'm only going to purchase nonstop, even though it's much pricier. But I was following fares for a week or so while my family members planned out their trip and they were coming in around $1300 each. Today when I went to book they were at $1780.

Dates are set and lodging in the various cities has been hammered out so I'm sticking with these dates.

Anyone been following the Delta fares who wants to weigh in on their movement? I hesitate to wait any longer as I find this to be a pretty last minute purchase but this will be the most I've ever paid for a ticket to France. It's a college graduation present for my daughter and so I'm forging ahead but should I wait a bit or just buy and write it off as a loss/reminder that it's really good to plan these trips farther in advance?

Thanks for any input.

Posted by
7049 posts

I don't follow any airline. But for those dates, American and United are coming in at $1,234 to $1,247 at the lowest, respectively (I just looked on Matrix ITA Software, but didn't look at all the details, so I can't tell if schedules are acceptable or not). They do have 1 stop. I don't think you can get a dream price if you are not flexible on dates or airlines or connections, especially during peak season. Something's gotta give...unfortunately. That's why I don't finalize dates or book lodging first - I always deal with airfare first because it's the most expensive to change if you need to, as opposed to hotel rooms.

Posted by
3959 posts

If you are only going to purchase nonstop you'll have to pay Delta's current price of $1700+ per ticket. If you are willing to fly Delta through Canada you only pay $1019 per ticket and the flight times are good. No one can predict the price of Delta flights tomorrow or beyond.

Posted by
7880 posts

It is going to go down after you buy or bought it. Sometimes you should clear the cookies cache of your browser when you are looking at fares and not buying the ticket and coming back to look at it again. they know you've been looking

Posted by
1190 posts

Today is Saturday, when Delta loads their weekly flight updates. I have seen prices for Delta routes I have been following sometimes rise dramatically on a Saturday, then return to where they were (or almost where they were) before. Of course, sometimes they also stayed higher. If it were me, I'd sit tight and see what happens to the prices Monday or Tuesday.

Posted by
2304 posts

Like other person states, thats during busy season. You can look at kayak which has 1 stop for fares from $1110 to $1230. Only you can decide which is more important, saving money to spend on vacation or biting the bullet and pay that price. Good luck
Enjoy

Posted by
2625 posts

Yeah, I see all the options with the one-stop flights...even my fave airline Condor can get them there for under $1100. But this is a gift and the travelers are two people who are extremely nervous fliers and the fewer takeoffs and fewer in-flight hours, the better they're going to do.

So my only thought was to see if any of you had been following Delta prices for a few weeks, instead of my few days. It just might have to be one of those situations where I just cough up the money and try to forget about it.

Posted by
11613 posts

I would wait until Monday or Tuesday, perhaps check in the meantime. But do yourself a favor and once you buy, don't look back.

Posted by
4637 posts

Yes, it is unfortunate. We wanted to fly from Seattle to Florence via Amsterdam late May and also 1700 round trip per person. And also Delta. Others probably, too, otherwise they wouldn't be able to go so high. I did not give up and found for eight hundred something flight by Iceland Air. Seattle - Reykjavik (Keflavik) - Zurich then by train. Stay 2 days in Luzern. Back from Munich - Reykjavik -Seattle. We will save by flying Iceland Air enough money to pay for train, hotel in Luzern and then some.

Posted by
2527 posts

Have you considered flying from Vancouver, B.C.? I found non-stop Delta fligts for your dates at a cost of $1,430 CAD ($1,060 US).

Posted by
2752 posts

I think it was Delta who announced in January that they would be raises their rates in Spring. Because of that we bought our tickets from Phoenix to Venice/Vienna to Phoenix in January. Even then it wasn't cheap but we thought the rates would rise before we leave in August.

Posted by
3551 posts

Just ck expedia or sim first bef u buy your non stop.
The airlines have found on weaknesses and are, Charging us.
Best of luck.

Posted by
6305 posts

Bruce's idea looks good. Can your folks get to Vancouver easily? It sure sounds worth any minor hassles.

Posted by
4157 posts

Try leaving on Sunday, June 25th and returning on July 25th or 26th. I checked using Google Flights' flexible calendar. It came up with a Delta Nonstop RT at $1268. That's not as cheap as the price through Vancouver ($1016) but definitely better than $1780.

Put in your departure and return airports and dates. Click on the first date, then flexible dates and you'll see a grid with departure dates across the top and return ones down the side. The price is shown where they intersect. It looks like you can save almost $500 per ticket by flying over a day earlier and returning 2-3 days later. It also looks like the dates you have chosen are about the most expensive possible!

Just for fun, you can click on the price graph to see how prices compare over a few months. You can also turn on the track prices button, if you want to wait...

You should be able to go to Delta and get the same results for those dates. Good luck!

Posted by
2625 posts

Thanks all for your posts. I spent the better part of last night looking around before deciding that this was one of those situations where I was just going to be a financial loser. I spent the most time pondering some $2000 round trip Air France Business Class tickets out of Vancouver but they required 2 flights on the way out and 3 on the way back and I just couldn't bring myself to inflict that much flying time on that duo, despite what I might have chosen if I was one of the travelers.

And I did see the price variations with date changes but I was unable to take advantage of those due to an inability to leave any earlier than June 26, the need to have my daughter in Paris by July 2nd at the latest (after a brief trip to Annecy) and the need to be back in Seattle by July 31st at the very latest.

I paid for lack of flexibility but, heck, on my other trips I usually benefit from flexibility, so I'm going to just forget about it and hope they have an amazing time!!:)