Please sign in to post.

uber

has any body used uber in rome? i am trying to find the best way to get a taxi from rome center to the airport. i have to take the taxi at 4 am. what is the best way to get one that early?

Posted by
2639 posts

I presume you are staying in a hotel In Rome or an apartment,if so the folk that run them will be able to advise and will probably have a list of companies to use.
Uber............. no thanks.

Posted by
353 posts

I use Uber frequently (the taxi situation in Boston is unworkable), and many times have used them for a 4:30/5:00am airport trip. They are far more reliable than taxis here.

In a city I am not familiar with, though, I don't believe I would rely on Uber for such a critical trip. I wouldn't know whether Uber drivers are plentiful in the wee hours of the morning, and missing my flight because I couldn't get an Uber in a timely manner would be a big worry.

I'd use a service I could pre-book, unless I could get first-hand assurances from people who have used Uber in Rome for an early morning airport trip, or unless I traveled to Rome so often I could become familiar with the situation myself.

Posted by
4828 posts

Unless you are determined to use Uber, consider a private car service. We can not say enough good things about Rome Cabs. It is a private car service (not a cab company) but only cost about 10 Euro more than a regular taxi. We always use them and have always been very pleased. Go to romecabs.com and see what you think. We usually send an email and they answer us with a quote within 24 hours. You do have to pay cash (Euros) and the end of the journey but not in advance. The problem with having the hotel make arrangements is that you might wind up with a regular cab, a car service, or the desk clerk's brother in law. Happened to us once but there were four of us and only one brother in law so there wasn't a problem.

Posted by
10221 posts

We had our hotel arrange for a cab to take us to the train station when we were departing Rome. Unfortunately the cab never showed up. We tried to catch one passing by, but the driver wouldn't accept us when he heard the hotel had called for one. The next one that came by also asked if a cab had been ordered. This time we answered no. I think a private car service would be the most reliable for such an early departure.

Posted by
32206 posts

I agree with the others. Ask your hotel the day prior to travel to arrange a Taxi or Shuttle to the airport at the appropriate time. It will be more reliable than goofy Uber service (I'm with Unclegus on that one - NO THANKS!).

Posted by
630 posts

We have friends that use Uber all the time when they are in Rome. They have always had a good experience. But if you are time restraint and you have the means, I personally would reserve a private car - just for peace of mind.

Posted by
11613 posts

I usually ask my hotel to reserve a taxi for me if I need a very early departure, I have never been disappointed. From most central locations in Roma the fare is 48 euro. Private car service will be a little more. I have no experience with uber.