Please sign in to post.

Tuscany Travel

My husband and I are headed to Tuscany at the end of this month. We are planning to rent a car to travel from Florence to the countryside where we are staying two nights in a villa. We are then traveling to the Cinque Terre for 3 nights. From there we head to Pisa to fly home. So, my first question is, should we reserve a car, or just rent one once we're in Florence? Secondly, should we keep the car the 3 nights we're in the Cinque Terre and pay to park? Using it to get to the airport? Or is there a rental place to drop the car off, then take a train to Pisa? Thanks for any help!

Posted by
1078 posts

Suggest you drop the car at the Pisa train station and take the train to the CT. You can easily go from place to place by the local train once there, return to Pisa, and take the bus or a cab to the airport. Save some $$ and worry about the car parked remotely from where you will be staying.

Posted by
7 posts

Fantastic idea! Thanks so much for the reply. Do you think that I should book my rental car ahead of time from the States, or will late August/early September be an okay time to rent one the day we need it? Thanks!

Posted by
3313 posts

It's usually much less expensive to reserve in advance. Look at prices on Autoeurope. As previously advised, drop in Pisa and take the train to CT. It will be almost impossible to park there at the end of August.

Posted by
32209 posts

Laura, Here are the usual "caveats" regarding driving in Italy.... One important point to note is that for driving in Italy, each driver must have the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. These are valid for one year, and easily obtained at any AAA office (two Passport-sized photos required, which in some case is offered at the issuing office). Failure to produce an IDP if requested can result in fines on the spot! Have a look at This Website for more detailed information. You may also want to have a look at some of the other posts here concerning the dreaded Zona Traffico Limitato areas that are becoming increasingly prevalent in many Italian towns & cities ( especially Florence!). EACH PASS through one of the automated Cameras will result in a €100+ ticket! A GPS along with a good Map would also be a good idea. Be sure to also give some thought to the question of CDW. If you accept the CDW offered by the rental firm, it will be expensive but will provide "peace of mind". Some "premium" credit cards provide rental vehicle insurance, however I've found this to be somewhat complicated so I just accept that offered by the rental firm. Check the Car Rental section in Europe Through The Back Door for further information. Happy travels!

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions!