Please sign in to post.

Turkish airlines

Any comments on flying with this airlines? They are part of star alliance and I may need to go w/ them for a lower fare. Chicago to Istanbul. pls reply w/ positive or negative comments.
thanks

Posted by
12040 posts

I flew with them once. Other than the delicious breakfast they served (some kind of sweet, light pastry with cheese inside), it was pretty much a standard airline experience.

Posted by
320 posts

We flew them last year within Turkey (Izmir-Istanbul). We were surprised to be fed a full meal on a 45 minute flight. Food was very good and crew pleasant. Would fly them again.

Posted by
2876 posts

I've flown Turkish Air round trip Chicago to Istanbul & they were fine - I'd say go ahead and book. When I flew they not only had the lowest price, but they were also the only carrier flying that route nonstop.

Posted by
29 posts

We flew Turkish Air between Chicago and Istanbul last spring. I thought the seats were quite comfortable for coach. The seats had footrests that extended from the seat in front. I have short legs so I loved that part. My taller traveling companion didn't even notice the footrests so I assume they weren't in his way. Service on the flight and the food were just fine. We wish we had allowed more time at the Istanbul airport on the way home. We found long lines with lots of family groups. The agents were efficient and deliberate, but not exactly speedy. It probably would have been better to arrive 3 hours before the flight instead of the 2 hours our hotel recommended. And we should have re-confirmed our seats a couple of days before the flight home. I did speak to Turkish Air agents several times before our trip. Although there is a "Chicago" number to call, the phone is answered in Turkey. Everyone I talked to was polite and answered my questions. At times, however, the connection was less than excellent with a lot of background chatter. And some agents spoke English better than others. But they all spoke English better than I speak Turkish!

Posted by
811 posts

it's not bad. great food, the planes we flew in were OK, but not not sleek or super comfy, very comparable with any domestic flight you get in the US.

Posted by
9110 posts

I've flown them quite a bit - -the last time a few weeks back. They seem to have about the same number of landings as take-offs, which is a plus. What's in the middle never has interested me terribly.