Please sign in to post.

Turkish Airlines

Does anyone have advice on Turkish Airlines? I plan to fly open jaw from Houston, Tx to Amsterdam then return to Houston from Munich. Turkish Airlines are about $500 cheaper than other airlines. Such a huge difference. Thanks!

Posted by
10192 posts

We had a good experience flying Paris/Istanbul/Ankara round trip. Nice, comfy leather seats, good food. We were served a meal even on the short Istanbul/Ankara flights. It reminded me of what flying used to be like. They were voted by business travelers onto a list of world's best airlines in some travel magazine not too long ago, not high on the list, but on the list nonetheless. No US flagship carriers were voted onto the list, for whatever that's worth.

Posted by
320 posts

We've only flown them within Turkey but found them to be efficient, friendly and received good service. I would fly them on overseas flight if possible.

Posted by
8144 posts

I've heard nice things about this airlines, and they're flying pretty new airplanes. Only down side is having to fly down to Turkey coming and going before heading the the U.S. Price savings is related to the time it takes to make the detour.

Posted by
20094 posts

Yes, you will have to fly thru Instanbul on both legs making them 19 hr and 17 1/2 hr journeys. Take advantage of this by stopping in Turkey on at least one leg. I believe they will let you do that for no or minimal cost. Friends have done that on the way to their French holiday home and did their jet lag recovery on a Turkish beach.

Posted by
281 posts

I have flown Turkish Airlines from Istanbul to Chicago (in 2010) and also several times on domestic flights within Turkey. They are very professional snd the food is much better than other airlines (Mediterranean selections). The seats were comfortable, drinks were free and they provided a small amenity kit to coach passengers. I would fly them again without hesitation. If you fly to IST
you should take a few days to check it out..it is a remarkable city!

Posted by
11294 posts

I flew Turkish Air in October 2011 JFK to IST. It was MUCH nicer than Delta; the food was actually very tasty, the plane was new and had USB charging ports at every seat and audio-video on demand (AVOD), and the crew was very nice. I wish they went to other places from New York besides Istanbul; the long detour is the only reason I don't use them for other parts of Europe. With Turkey, I flew on Anadolou Jet and Bora Jet, which are Turkish Air subsidiaries. I also flew on Atlas Jet, which is not. All were fine; even on these short flights, everyone gets a free beverage and snack. It's been said that flying in Turkey is old fashioned, in the best possible way: there's some legroom, the flight attendants are pleasant, and meals are included. That was certainly my experience.

Posted by
284 posts

I really like them. They are well run and in flight is pretty nice. The only challenge is that they can be a bit hard to get a hold of in some cases.