Please sign in to post.

Trenitalia Tickets- when purchasing tickets and never received a confirmation email or PNR number!

I should start off saying I did not register when I purchased my Trenitalia tickets. My bank was charged but i did not print off PNR number because I thought there would be an itinerary and confirmation that a could print out after i pressed submit. Unfortunately there was not so I have no confirmation email and no PNR number, there is not an email in my spam I already checked. So i have no tickets or proof of the tickets i purchased except for a bank charge from Trenitalia. PLEASE HELP!! Can anyone tell me how to get a PNR number or a confirmation email??

Posted by
16893 posts

Are you sure the charge was finalized through your bank and not just pending? Some card statements look the same when a hold is released, even if not charged, and the hold would expire in a few days. The only way to get help is to contact Trenitalia and see also rules. Without either a registration or a PNR, they may not be able to find you in their computer.

Posted by
10 posts

Laura Thanks,

The charge is actually pending now and now i see the same charge as a reversal? Weird I know you're not a banker but it seems as they are reversing the charges I will call the bank and check. But my question now is how do I book a new ticket before they sell out on Trenitalia and get an PNR and confirmation email every time I tried to register previously i got an ("error code :291 Any one of the data entered is not valid") is there a reason I can not register? I appreciate any help with this it is very hard to communicate with Trenitalia and get answers! and of course I still need a ticket! Thaks again!

Posted by
20158 posts

You might give ItaliaRail a try. Prices are just a couple of bucks more (check their USD price vs the euro price at tenitalia.com converted to USD). They might be easier to deal with.
http://www.italiarail.com/

Posted by
10 posts

Sam,

Thanks for your help!! but are those non refundable tickets? also no ticket correction allowed ? I will probably have to do that ....do you or anyone know if NON Italians can purchase tickets on Trenitalia site??

Posted by
20158 posts

I've done it and friends have, but not in the last year.
PS are you looking for cheap nonrefundable tickets, or full fare refundable? If the latter, I'd just wait and buy on the day of travel.
I checked for a trip from Venice to Florence for September 22 at 14:25
Trenitalia (converted to USD) is $26 Super Economy, $40 Economy, $62 Base
ItaliaRail (in USD) is $28 Super Economy, $42 Economy, $65 Base
So there is about a $2-$3 service charge per ticket.
With ItaliaRail, Both Super Economy and Economy tickets are nonrefundable, so no point in getting Economy tickets unless Super Economy is sold out. Base fares are somewhat refundable, but no reason to buy them if you can get them at the station for less money and not have to worry about change fees.

Posted by
32813 posts

a couple of thoughts....

from where to where? You may find that .Italo also provides service on that route; given a choice I prefer their trains.

If your registration failed due to an invalid piece of data isn't it worth find what you have put in that they don't like? Did you put in a date in US format instead of European format? Did you put spaces or punctuation in your telephone number? Did you leave something off the form?

Without looking over your shoulder I can't tell you which field is wrong...

I know quite a few non-Italians who have successfully registered with Trenitalia including myself. It can be done. And make sure to warn the bank ahead before you make the purchase.

Posted by
792 posts

Chris, did a confirmation email go to your spam? You do not need to register with Trenitalia to get a ticket.

Also with the error code- Are you entering individual email addresses into each passenger? If you are, don't. Just put names, leave the emails blank. And fill out your email at the bottom of the form.

I bought several tickets through Trenitalia for my most recent trip and I ran into the same error code you did, until I stopped entering everyone's email. Then I immediately received a confirmation email with the PNR.

Posted by
168 posts

Chris, I bought my tickets from Trenitalia about a month again and had no problems. Also, I didn't have to register to buy them, I just bought them under Non Registered User. I did receive a confirmation email with my tickets to print out as well. After finding out what's going on with your bank, I would give them a call. Also, I did call my bank and credit card company to inform them before I bought the tickets that I was going to purchase something on an Italian website, and for them not to flag it as suspicious. Good luck and I hope things work out.

Posted by
73 posts

I just purchased my train tickets on Trenitalia last evening. No problem. I received my email confirmation and PNR right away. I hope this gets straightened out for you as I had no problem.