Please sign in to post.

Traveling from Rome to Sorrento

My husband and I are going to Italy in May of 2013 and have been invited to a wedding in Sorrento during our trip. We were wondering if there was an easy way to get to Sorrento. If we hire a driver to take us there, about how much would they charge? I know that going to Naples and then taking the boat to Sorrento would probably be the best scenario, but we will have a lot of luggage - going to Sicily after Sorrento - Any thoughts?

Posted by
6788 posts

It's a no-brainer for most reasonable people: take the train from Rome to the main Naples station, then walk down a flight of stairs and take the "Circumvesuviano" - a local commuter train that runs frequently between Naples and Sorrento. Ignore the freaked-out American tourists who are afraid to get within sight of Naples who would warn you that Don Corleone's bag men will jump out at you from behind a potted plant in the train station, and don't worry about the grafitti you'll see on the Circumvesuviano - it's fine, like any other train (and believe me, if you live in Yonkers, you see a lot worse every day). It's quick, easy, not expensive, and perfectly safe. I can't think of any good reason to not take these trains.

Posted by
6898 posts

Ditto David. You'll see as much or more graffiti and unusual circumstances coming through Grand Central than you will on the Circumvesuviana train. Just watch your luggage. Put it in the overhead racks above you if you can. It's just over an hour from Naples to Sorrento.

Posted by
2367 posts

We had a lot of luggage also as going to wedding in Positano and bringing lots of stuff. Anyway, took train from Rome to Naples, transferred to local train, about an hour for about 5 euro and ends in Sorrento. The local train is down one flight of stairs in Naples train station. Private driver I seem to remember was about 100 euro. Agree, if you can navigate NYC subway, you can certainly do this. Once you get to Sorrento, if hotel is too far maybe you can get cab or talk with your hotel and see if they have transport from train to hotel. Sorrento is great.