Please sign in to post.

Traveling from Madrid airport to Seville Monday, September 17, 2018

I am trying to figure out best way to purchase AVE tickets to Seville when we (family of 4) arrive at Madrid airport. We arrive 8:30 am and will be heading to Seville directly. Some sites tells me I need to purchase tickets ahead of time to avoid risk of selling out but Renfe site is telling me it will take 7 hours to get to Seville (it's the only ticket option it shows), I think it will be best to purchase once a arrive.

I do know we have to get to Atocha station and transfer to AVE train for Seville. I am trying to avoid buying tickets at Atocha station since from what I can tell from Googling, it might be crowded.

Is there an Renfe office at T4 at Madrid airport? Can I purchase AVE tickets there? Or just kiosks?

Any insight on this will be helpful, thanks in advance!

Posted by
235 posts

7 hours? Heck no! 2-1\2 hours. We did this last June. Goto to loco2.com to buy your tickets. All in English, no added fees. Seville is fabulous . . .have a wonderful time. If you like Roman stuff, Italica is certainly worth the short day trip.

Posted by
27166 posts

Your point of origin should be Madrid-Puerta de Atocha, not Madrid-Atocha Cercanias. If you choose the latter, you will get only non-express trains, thus the very long travel time you observed.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks everyone.

acraven, your tip was extremely helpful! Once I corrected my point of origin, I was able to purchase express tickets for the family on Renfe's site. I finally heard back from my Airbnb host and he highly recommended I purchase tickets online since Monday tends to be a busy travel day.

Thanks again!

Posted by
2707 posts

I hope you allowed enough time, including possible flight delays if you are doing this the same day. There are limits on your ability to get a refund, check the specific tickets you purchased.

Posted by
8 posts

Our scheduled arrival time is 8:35 a.m., it's a direct from Atlanta. We are taking the 1:00 p.m. train to Seville, I purchased PROMO +, Preferente tickets, from what I can gather it seems to have a bit of flexibility for cancellation, etc. Thought it's better to have too much time than rushing around in hopes of catching an earlier train.

Posted by
235 posts

Hi Kate, We took a taxi from the airport . . .think the cost was around €40. You are allotting oodles of time . . . enjoy a nice lunch.