Please sign in to post.

Traveling from Left Bank, Paris to CDG airport on Bastille Day 2012

Leaving the Left Bank for afternoon flight out of CDG airport. Three middle aged people with 3 midsize wheeled suitcases and 3 carryons. Is it safe (heard you go through rough neighbourhood, will be able to seat or safe place to stand without being pickpocked) or will the RER B be packed and impossible to get on. Concerned getting our suitcases down steps from St. Michel station and finding our way to terminal when we get off train. Getting to the other side of Champs to get buses seems out the the question with the parade that day. Read someone had problems even finding where the buses moved on day of parade. Worried won't be able to get a cab or the fare will be out of this world expensive when stuck in traffic getting out of town. Any one with experience or suggestions?

Posted by
565 posts

Not sure this helps much but here goes: I haven't been there on Bastille but I was there about a year ago when they had a whole bunch of demonstrations so I imagine it might be as crowded. The Metro was very packed almost all day every day. I got a little concerned and arranged a car service to take us to the airport. I don't remember the exact cost (it wasn't too expensive) but it might give you a little peace of mind while you are there. It sure made my mom feel better knowing she wouldn't have to navigate through the crowd with her stuff. Have fun!

Posted by
77 posts

Because of the triple situation of Saturday, July 14th and middle of the day, you won't be hitting any commuter crowds (like we did the last time we left Paris) but I don't know how the Fete Nationale will affect outbound RER traffic. My guess, and it is JUST A GUESS, is that more people would be coming in to the city during the day than leaving. With suitcases you may want to stand in the bike / baggage sections at the end of the train, or at least have one person there with the bags while the other two sit. Those sections aren't usually as crowded so you should be able to remain sufficiently aware of those around you to avoid any pickpockets.

Posted by
9110 posts

Great! We have two people guessing at answers who have never been to Paris on Bastille Day! Very helpful. What time's the flight? Precisely where are you staying?

Posted by
565 posts

You're right. Cross posted is better. Thought planting the car service in her head as a possibility would be helpful. Wrong again!

Posted by
32813 posts

I see nothing wrong with using a car service - in fact I remember when you posted during your trip, Leslie. I was in Paris on Bastille day getting a train, but it was over 40 years ago and I had trained into Paris from Nice not realizing the date. Couldn't find a room so left. It was much more crowded going into Paris than out. But 40 year old experience may be getting a bit yellow around the edges, so disregard.

Posted by
3 posts

Because of the busy day, I was worried would not be able to get a car service. How far in advance did you call to reserve. Do you remember who you used?

Posted by
565 posts

I actually didn't get the service until a few days into the trip. I found a few names on TripAdvisor but they were slammed because everybody in Paris was having issues moving around unless on foot. I then called the guys I rented the apartment from and they hooked me up. I kept the driver's card but it's at my office. I'll send you a private message in the morning. He was excellent and I'd use him again in a heartbeat. I bet this far out you won't have any issues getting one reserved. Personally, every time I'm in Paris, it seems there's some various strike or something going on and I haven't had any issues yet, but I'm usually by myself or with others that don't worry too much either. Spending a few Euros on the service was well worth it as my mom was able to relax and enjoy herself and not think about it until we left.

Posted by
32813 posts

Martha If you answer the questions in Ed's reply I'm sure you will get an answer that will help you.

Posted by
565 posts

Martha, I just sent you a PM with the contact info so check your spam file if you don't see it. That's where mine go first. I'd answer Ed's question as he's one of the experts here (he's helped me a million times), along with the folks that actually live there. I just spend a couple or three months on the road like I imagine a few others do making me accidentally experienced only. Have a good time! LOVE Paris even with all it's strikes, demonstrations, fetes, etc. If you need real time answers, check out TripAdvisor. The locals on there did a great job of letting everybody know parade routes, street closings as it was happening.

Posted by
11507 posts

Martha,, three middleaged persons with so much luggage,, too much. I would recommend the RER normally, and frankly that is exactly what I would do( as pointed out,, traffic OUT of Paris mid morning ( which is about when you would leave) won't be horrible.. BUT I travel with a small bag and a shoulder purse worn over the shoulder,, the stairs with mid sized suitcases and carryons may be challenging..
Are you closest to St Michel,, cause Luxembourg Garden stop would be alot easier. I have used a private car service I would recommend( Inter-Shuttle, you do not pay in advance and its about 55 euros to airport ) but traffic may be an issue so I would opt for travelling lighter and taking RER. And yes, I do a three week or more trip with only one smaller bag,, its so much easier and funner when not worrying about luggage.

Posted by
8700 posts

There are escalators at the Saint-Michel Notre-Dame RER station. The RER B line divides northeast of Paris so be sure to get on a train that is going to CDG. If your flight leaves from Terminal 1, get off at the CDG 1 station which is next to Terminal 3 and take the free 24/7 CDGVAL driverless shuttle train to Terminal 1. If you will leave from Terminal 2, go on to the CDG 2 TGV station. For detailed information, including photos, see the Paris By Train site.

Posted by
2127 posts

I second the suggestion that you pack lighter. Unless you can find a mini-van, you may need TWO cars to fit three middle-aged people, three mid-size wheeled suitcases and three carryons. My husband and I routinely travel for 4-5 weeks, with a carry-on size wheeled suitcase and a small backpack apiece. It takes some thought initially, but once you've done it, you'll see how much more pleasant it is to travel light.