Please sign in to post.

Traveling by Train

My husband and I are planning on traveling in Northern Italy by train and our questions is - should we buy a rail pass for 6 or 7 days or pay as we go. We will be traveling between Brescia, Padua, Venice and Ferrara. We haven't decided if we should stay in each location for a night, but were wondering if it would be cheeper to buy a rail pass for several days or just buy a ticket as we go. Thank you.

Posted by
80 posts

We found the railpass as it limits you to first class seats on the faster trains...with the required seat reservation.....if you have a set plan and can buy your major runs early....good discounts can be had...ex. Milan to venice 9e 2nd class with reserved seat....short hop regional trains buy as needed.....paul

Posted by
521 posts

Eileen, that is a question that a lot of people ask, and at least 3 other people will reply after me (or while I'm typing this) to tell you the same thing: a pass usually won't save you any money in Italy. To be specific, if you were travelling tomorrow you could get tickets for Brescia to Padova for €28, Padova to Venezia for €9 and Venezia to Ferrara for €7.50. How much would your pass cost per day? Try the journey planner on http://www.trenitalia.com/

Posted by
20163 posts

These are all short hops that can be done on regional trains. For instance, Padua-Venice is 3.55 euro. Brescia-Padua has more frequent service using fast trains, but full fare is 28 euro, and available even a few days in advance at a discount for as little as 9 euro.

Posted by
32213 posts

Eileeen, A Railpass is rarely the most cost effective method for rail travel in Italy, especially if travelling via Regionale trains which are relatively cheap. Keep in mind also that if you're above about 30, you'll have to buy first class Railpasses, and also Railpasses DO NOT include the reservation fees which are compulsory on the "premium" trains. You have to pay separately "out of pocket" for those. DO NOT be caught without a valid reservation on a train where it's compulsory, or you'll face hefty fines which will be collected on the spot! The fines START at €50 PP plus the cost of the reservation, and increase from there. There are some potentially expensive "caveats" with rail travel in Italy, whether with or without a Pass. If you need more information, post another note. Happy travels!