Please sign in to post.

Traveling by train

We are going to Europe in October 2019. We are flying into Zurich, going to Paris, then Fussen, Germany. I'm trying to book the train rides from each city to the next, but I am having a lot of difficulty. If anyone can give me some direction, I would be very grateful. I think that it is just too early, but then to see a price, I just pick a day next week and I'm not finding any answers.

Posted by
7730 posts

Try to buy only available 90 to 120 days in advance. Use that same search in order to get idea on costs right now.
You can search the Deustch Bahn website to see schedules not prices that far in advance.

Posted by
19636 posts

There is a general European wide schedule update that takes place on June 9. Depending on the country, the trains might not be scheduled yet. Germany and Switzerland have them scheduled already for the most part, France takes it time. Look at dates in April or May to see what advance nonrefundable tickets are likely to go for when they go on sale.

Posted by
32512 posts

Don't use RailEurope. Is that where you have been looking.

Use the company selling the tickets and running the trains.

Posted by
8889 posts

Where are you looking?
The default place to look is the website of the company running the train, which is different for different routes.
Many tickets are cheaper if bought 1-2 months in advance, so to check prices, look for a date in May.

Your route confuses me: Zürich (airport presumably) --> Paris --> Füssen --> Then where?
Why are you flying into Zürich if you want to go to Paris?
Paris to Füssen is a long way, and involves doubling back on yourself.

I recommend you read the excellent "Man in Seat 61" website: https://www.seat61.com/

Posted by
26829 posts

Yes, one can take advantage of a great airfare to any old place in Europe, and one can go to the places one most wants to see. It's not necessarily a good idea to do those two things on the same trip.

I often see good flight prices to Zurich from my origin.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you all for your advice! We have changed our itinerary and now will go to Zurich (we are flying to there because we wanted to get on a train after getting there, travel to where we are going, and it is centrally located to our original plans), then to Innsbruck for 4 days, on to Neuschwenstein Castle, then back to Zurich for a few days. I've been able to access train prices now, but I keep getting RailEurope and Nigel indicated that it is not the way to go. How do I find what company sells the tickets/runs the trains? Again, thank you very much for taking the time to answer. Your time is greatly appreciated.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks, Sam! If you're ever in Buffalo, I'll return the favor with lots of good advice :)