Please sign in to post.

travel in Italy

Does anyone know if it's possible to get from Capri to Amsterdam in one day? We were going to take the ferry to the mainland, then taxi to Naples, then train to Rome airport. Or should we try to find a car and driver for this? Any idea of cost?
Thank you for ideas,
William D.

Posted by
4555 posts

You'll never drive it in a day....it's more than 1100 miles from Naples to Amsterdam. And you'd be hit with a big charge for renting in one country and dropping off in another.
Transavia flies Naples-Amsterda....Easyjet flies Rome-Amsterdam.

Posted by
32212 posts

William,

Travel by budget airline would absolutely be the best choice in this case.

Yes, it is possible to get from Capri to Amsterdam in one day. In the same situation, I'd probably use something like this:

Hydrofoil from Capri to Naples Beverello Wharf. The trip is about 45 minutes.

From the wharf, use the Alibus Shuttle or Taxi to reach Naples Campodichino (NAP) airport. The Taxi would probably be a better option but be sure to read the cautions in the Guidebook regarding Taxis in Naples!

As the previous post mentioned, use Transavia for a flight to AMS (Schiipol). The flight is about 2H:40M. You'll probably be departing from Terminal 1. BE SURE to book as early as possible, in order to get the best rates. The prices shown will include all fees and surcharges.

One thing to keep in mind is that they appear to only have one flight daily, which departs at 15:35 and hopefully this will fit your timing).

Happy travels!

Posted by
15585 posts

The OP is flying from Rome to Amsterdam.

His question is how to get from Naples to FCO - taxi+train or car&driver. And given that he has to first ferry from Capri to Naples, can he get to Amsterdam on the same day he leaves Capri.

Posted by
4555 posts

Thanks for the clarification Chani. Actually, it would make more sense to fly from Naples, as mentioned, since flying out of Rome would simply involve more time and cost.

Posted by
32212 posts

Actually, the way I read the original post:

"We were going to take the ferry to the mainland, then taxi to Naples, then train to Rome airport"

The key words here are "we were going to". I read these to mean that this is the method being considered, but the plans weren't made yet.

The route I suggested still seems like the most logical and easiest one

Cheers!.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks to all for the quick responses to my post. Based on your excellent advice, we have booked airfare from Naples on Transavia and will use the hydrofoil. We should meet our schedule, and save some money and hassles. Thanks again!!

Posted by
32212 posts

William,

One additional point to mention. Be sure to check the baggage rules for the airline, as rules for carry-on and checked baggage are generally a bit different than they are here.

Cheers!