Please sign in to post.

Travel in and around London

I am traveling to Enland in June and staying in Woking which is just outside London. I am trying to decide which transportation option is the best. Woking is just outside of the zone 6 area that is covered by the Travelcard offered by the Underground transit system so I will be paying quite a bit just to travel in and out of London each day,I think it will be about $15 each way. The Britrail does offer a London plus pass which runs about $280 for 7 days which also allows for travel to other area like Bath and Oxford,however I dont plan on doing this type of travel more than 2 days at the most. Is there a more economical option that I am not considering?

Posted by
4684 posts

You can book a weekly season ticket from Woking to London with a Travelcard added on. I don't know the exact fare but it will be cheaper than buying a ticket every day and probably cheaper than the London Plus Pass. You can't buy these online in advance but only at the railway station.

Posted by
32521 posts

If you do as Philip suggest, and it is excellent advice, pack a passport sized photo for the mandatory free photocard to go with your weekly season pass ticket. That will give you unlimited journeys by train between Woking and London, and all the buses and tube you can eat in all 6 major zones. There are no peak time restrictions or extra payments for a weekly season ticket.

Posted by
4684 posts

Also, if you're willing to pick the days you travel to Bath or Oxford in advance you can get much cheaper tickets if you book online now.

Posted by
2 posts

Phillip,
Thank you so much for your replies to my question. I will investigate your suggestions. I may email you back if that is ok, once I look into it further and have questions on just how to navigate. Thank you again, Jennifer