Please sign in to post.

travel from Venice to Salzburg in Mar 2013

We have a Eurorail pass. We are looking at travel late morn or early afternoon on a Friday, from Venice to Salzburg in Mar 2013. One train option is leaving Venice at 11:04 and arriving in Salzburg at 1907 with two transfers or later #2 option is leaving at 13:34 and arriving in Salzburg at 2058 and only one transfer. Do we need to pay for reservations for all the transfers? I am leaning towards later train arriving 2058 with only one transfer but my wife likes earlier train. We will be visiting Salzburg for the weekend. There is also option#3 leaving 1120 on bus to Villach and transferring to train in 5 minutes, and arriving Salzburg at 1748. Is it difficult to make transfer? Is this a double decker bus with windows to see the scenery? Thanks for help in deciding best way to travel.

Posted by
265 posts

I did a search also and spotted a journey that goes all by train to Salzburg via Verona and Innsbruck. (Leaves Venice at 8:50 for the 8 hour train ride.) It has two changes but with more than ample time to make the easy changes. Plus it would be a very scenic trip. Especially Vernona to Innsbruck through the alps. Also since you live in Overland Park you might like to join us for our next Kansas City Area Rick Steves Travel Meeting. We meet every third Saturday of the month at Panera on the Plaza. The next meeting is January 19th 10 AM. (Panera at 47th and Pennsylvania.)

Posted by
4684 posts

The train ride from Villach to Salzberg is extremely scenic: I rode it this summer when I went to Klagenfurt. I don't know about the scenery on the bus ride, but I saw that bus at Klagenfurt station and it is a double deck coach with big windows. I'd go for the bus to Villach and then train, as the overall travel time is shorter.

Posted by
8700 posts

If you book today on the Austrian Rail site, you can get a discount SparSchiene fare as low as €29.00 for a regional train from Venezia Santa Lucia to Venezia Mestre, a bus from Mestre to Villach, and a train from there to Salzburg. Leave Venezia Santa Lucia at 09:18 and arrive in Salzburg at 15:48. Leave Venezia Santa Lucia at 11:03 and arrive in Salzburg at 17:48. Leave Venezia Santa Lucia at 15:18 and arrive in Salzburg at 21:48. Discount fare tickets are for a specific departure date and time and are non-exchangeable and non-refundable. Be sure you can commit before booking.

Posted by
32907 posts

Bill, do you mean that you actually have already bought your rail pass or that you are going to? If you do as Tim has suggested you won't need reservations on top as they are included but if you have actually spent the money for the passes it is too late. Austrian trains don't ordinarily require reservations but all high speed Italian trains (InterCity and faster) do, a different reservation (with a separate charge) for each change of train. If you buy the point to point trains they include the reservation as part of the ticket.

Posted by
322 posts

If you decide to take the bus to Villach, it is an extremely easy transfer. The bus basically pulls up in front of the train station. Our bus was delayed due to road construction and they held the trains for major destinations. Our train into Slovenia wasn't held, but we still made the transfer in less than five minutes (albeit running). The bus is double decker, with the cheaper seats being on the second level. It was lovely going through the mountains.

Posted by
8700 posts

If you already have passes, you'll need to buy seat reservations for the bus from Venezia Mestre to Villach. They are required. You will not have to buy seat reservations for the regional train from Venezia Santa Lucia to Venezia Mestre or for the train from Villach to Salzburg.

Posted by
1166 posts

Tim - We are traveling from Venice to Salzburg in May (it's too early to buy tickets oebb.net states), but when we input the times you posted for the bus and train through Villach, it shows 116 euros for the four of us. However, if I click "group", it looks like I can purchase a "group" ticket for 32 euros. Can you buy this now even though the dates are too far out? We always buy point to point tickets at the train station. BUT, if this is correct and I can buy a "group" ticket, I would love to save a few euros for eating !!!

Posted by
8700 posts

Carla, I don't know anything about "Group" fares. However, €116 for four of you comes to €29/person, which is the lowest discount SparSchiene fare and is the one I listed in my previous post. I don't think you can do any better than that.