Please sign in to post.

Travel from Venice to Lake Como

We are travelling from Venice to Lake Como, staying in Varenna. We will be renting an apartment about 15minutes from the center of town. Do you recommend we travel by car or train to Varenna. Are there reliable taxis to take us from our apartment to the center of town.

Posted by
10256 posts

I would take the train. There is no need for a car if you are strictly looking at how to get from point A to point B. You will change trains in Milan. I don't know what 15 minutes from the center of town means. The train station is not in the center of town. Is the apartment closer to the train station? On the opposite side of town? I would contact the landlord for a recommendation for the best way to get there from the train station. I don't recall seeing any taxi's at the train station, which is very small. We just walked to our B&B from the train station.

Posted by
55 posts

Hi, You just train from Venice to Milan, then Milan to Varenna. I remember we had to switch trains. Then there are a bunch of little taxis you can take to the apartment. Very easy.

Posted by
101 posts

Hi Miriam, I did a similar trip in May. We took a train from Venice to Como and then had a driver take us from Como to our villa in Laglio. Send me a Personal Message request and I can give you the driver's contact info. He's friendly and helpful. We used him several times in our 3 night stay. Jessica

Posted by
10256 posts

The train wil take you directly to Varenna. There is no need to hire a driver.