Please sign in to post.

Travel from Paris to Nice

We have planned a month in southern France in Sept/Oct. Our flight lands in Paris and we figured to go TGV to Nice. But the cost for 2 adults is more than 600 Euros rd trip! Does anyone know of a better solution? Either flight or other? Our flight comes into Paris at 7 am.

Posted by
32212 posts

Sue, I agree with Nigel. That's WAY too much for the trip from Paris to Nice. Where are you getting your prices??? As you're at the airport anyway, you could also take a budget flight. Unfortunately, the EasyJet morning departure leaves at 07:00, so you'd have to wait all day (while suffering jet lag and probably having to change Terminals) and use the 18:35 departure. I'm sure there are other airlines operating on that route, but I didn't check. In the same situation, I'd still use the TGV. Depending on what time you get to the TGV station at CDG, you might be able to connect with a train that departs at 09:58 (time 6H:28M, one change at Aix-en-Provence). One advantage of the train is that it's usually easier to "nap" on the train, so one of you could rest while the other watches your kit. Happy travels!

Posted by
11294 posts

The best solution would have been to book a flight into Nice. This way, your connection would have been on one ticket; the price may not have been much higher, and if your first plane is late, you would be put on a later plane at no charge. See what it costs to change your flight; it may still be the cheapest and easiest option. For train prices, look at http://www.tgv-europe.com/en/choose-country/index.php Choose Australia as your country (or anywhere but US) and don't allow yourself to be redirected to Rail Europe, as they mark up the tickets. Choose ticket collection country as "France." You should be able to get a PREMS fare, and print this out from your computer. These are booked one-way, so even if you cannot get the cheapest fare in one direction, you have a shot at the other. These fares are not yet available for September; I forget if its 90 days before, 3 months before, or something else. You want to be ready to buy the day they become available, as the discount fares do sell out. If you need help booking these tickets, http://www.seat61.com has lots of tips. You can either leave from CDG airport (preferable if you want to do this directly upon arrival), or Gare de Lyon in Paris itself. You could also investigate flying; if this is on separate tickets, allow lots of time for the connection. Be aware that flights to Nice go from both CDG and Orly; be sure you don't have to change airports.

Posted by
32813 posts

Sue, Where in blazes did you get €300 pp from? Somebody's having a Giraffe!! Cor, you're being taken for a ride. Tickets for the end of September are not yet ready for sale. You need to look less than 92 days out to see real tickets, and be ready to scoop up Prems or other discounts 92 days out. I just looked at 22 August / 29 August for guidelines and for the 6:49am train from Paris Gare de Lyon, arrives Nice 12:30pm - how much would that have been, do you think? In the middle of Summer holidays - €36. Return a week later for €54 pp. That's a whole country mile from €600. Please tell me who is selling such hokum. Not RailEurope by any chance, is it? EDIT: I just saw your 7am arrival. I don't have a clue about how long CDG>Passport Control>RER>Gare de Lyon would take but the same day there's a 10:49, same price, and a 12:49 for €54pp.

Posted by
8700 posts

The TGV that leaves Gare de Lyon at 10:49 arrives in Nice at 16:29. If you don't want to go into Paris, you can take a TGV from CDG to Aix-en-Provence that departs at 09:58. Connect there to the Paris-Nice TGV which arrives at 16:29. There also is a direct TGV from CDG to Nice that departs at 11:40 and arrives at 18:05. You'll get the lowest discount fares by going directly from Gare de Lyon in Paris to Nice and by booking ASAP (up to three months allowed) at tgv-europe.com.

Posted by
1175 posts

You might try some trial runs starting at 90 days from say tomorrow and see what 1st class tickets cost for prems. We did that trip last year and were able to get 1st class seats for not much more than coach seats. For the 6+ hour trip it was worth it. Take the advice and do not use the US for your home country or the costs will escalate. Play around with it a few times and for a few days to get a feel of what is available. You can get much better prices than what you quoted and, the train ride is very enjoyable.

Posted by
7036 posts

Sue, I'm doing the same trip in July. I did what the good people here suggested and booked 90days out on TGV-Europe website and my fare is 30 Euro. Unfortunately my plane doesn't land at CDG until 1:00pm so I'm spending the night in Paris near the Gare de Lyon and leaving for Nice the following morning. Even with the hotel room it's still under $150 total. When it's close to your 92 day time (sometime in June) repost here if you still have questions. Someone will help you with the TGV website if you have problems or questions. Have a good trip!

Posted by
2 posts

To each of you who have responded to my plea for help - Thank You so much. This is to be our "bucket list" dream trip - a month in an apartment on the Riviera. We've been before but only for short stays. We will post on Rick's website. Again to each of you, hugs and kisses!
Sue

Posted by
4132 posts

If I were in your position I'd also look into flights to Nice from CDG. Since you are at the airport already, such a flight might save you some time.

Posted by
11507 posts

Sue, we are taking the train from Paris to Nice this july, I booked exactly as tickets were released for date, I booked on idTGV and our tickets are 40 euros for first class.
I have no idea where you found that 600 euros price but thats almost unbelievable,, where ever you found that price, don't use it, its horrendus!