Please sign in to post.

Travel from London to Paris

We are a family of four traveling from London to Paris. What is the most effecient way and least expensive, to use? Is it the Eurostar? Any recommendations on sites to purchase tickets? Thank you!

Posted by
317 posts

That depends on what you mean by "traveling from London to Paris." If you are going to be in London and are traveling onward to Paris - Eurostar is definitely convenient, and would be my personal choice. Their website is: www.eurostar.com Hard to beat city center to city center. If you are flying in and departing the same day, it would pay to check out a few low-cost airlines. Just remember that low-cost airlines may use outlying airports, so be mindful of transit once you reach Paris. Cheapest route is by bus/coach. It also takes the longest.

Posted by
4684 posts

The most convenient route is definitely the Eurostar: book at www.eurostar.com. Tickets go on sale around 4 months in advance and you need to book then to get the cheapest tickets. However, those tickets are restricted to specific trains and if you miss that you have to pay full fare, so it may be too risky if you are flying into London the same day. The absolute cheapest route, though not as comfortable or fast by a long way, is by coach (www.eurolines.co.uk). Sometimes budget airlines may be even cheaper than Eurostar. Try Easyjet or Ryanair, but make sure that it actually is cheaper when you add in the cost of the journeys between the city centre and airports and the luggage and other fees. If you actually are flying into London and going straight to Paris, it may be cheaper and certainly more convenient if you can get a flight from the same airport.

Posted by
11507 posts

stephanie,, as everyone says, Eurostar is most convenient, its city center to city center and only 2.5 hours. No hassles or extra expense getting to and from airports. The bus is the cheapest but with kids,, really, 8 hours on a bus would suck. Its not particularily scenic either. Now, the thing with Eurostar is that while it can be cost effective and cheap, thats only if booked WELL in advance,,, closer to date of travel prices are much higher. In that case, you may want to consider flying on a discount airline, Easyjet would be my suggestion, although just like Eurostar, closer to date means fewer low prices,, and there is the added cost of transport to and from airport,, ( but its still not going to take as long as the entire bus trip) . I would suggest you not look at airlines that use Beauvais airport( such as Ryanair) as it is very far from Paris and will take alot more time and money to get to and from,, you should use either Orly or Charles de Gaulle.

Posted by
8700 posts

If you will be in London before going on to Paris, then definitely take the Eurostar! As others have said, book ASAP (up to 120 days allowed) at eurostar.com to get the cheapest tickets. IMO, taking an 8-hour daytime ride on a Eurolines bus is false economy. You would be wasting precious sightseeing time by doing that. However, if you're willing to take the overnight bus and think none of you would be awake all night, then the savings could be worth the long ride. You wouldn't have to pay for a night in a hotel and you would have more daylight hours for sightseeing. (How rested you will be for sightseeing the morning you arrive is another question, of course.)

Posted by
619 posts

You can now also travel between London and Paris by Megabus (www.megabus.com). This uses a ferry between Ramsgate and Boulogne and takes just over 8 hours. I found a fare of £4 for a daytime journey on 4th July. Overnight journeys are more expensive. My preference would still be Eurostar.