Please sign in to post.

Travel from Italy to Greece

My daughter and I are planning a trip next summer (08) to France, Italy and Greece. We plan to travel by railpass. Does anyone have recommendations re: ferry vs. europe air from Italy to Greece?

Posted by
91 posts

I would recommend searching for a cheap flight from italy to greece. I have seen prices from 90 to 140 euros. The ferry can be as costly as a flight and take much, much longer!!

Posted by
7544 posts

It depends whether you are just hitting major cities on short time, or doing the vagabond thing on a budget. If you will be in Rome and need to go to Athens, all being equal, a cheap flight (Aegean Air, maybe $100, more or less) cheap, takes less time, and less effort. If you already have a pass, then a train from Rome to Bari is covered, the ferry from Bari to Patras is covered,and the train from Patras to Athens is covered. Plan a half day to get to Bari, overnight on the ferry, then a few hours to get to Athens (Though Olympia and the Peloponnese are a good diversion on the way to Athens). Now, the ferry on a railpass is just a plastic chair on the deck, maybe stretch out your sleeping bag. If you require more sleep, an upgrade to an airline seat or a dorm bed will cost you. Private rooms will cost much more. (Look at Superfast ferries for details).

Posted by
7544 posts

As for railpass, If the ferry does not sound promising, then you can get a cheaper pass by just getting one for France and Italy. Greece on a railpass is not a great deal, rail lines are limited, and both rail and bus are very cheap. Even the ferry may be not a good railpass deal, or enough to pick up another country and additional days.

Posted by
83 posts

the ferry is an experience, for sure. I would recommend that you bring some food & drink along with you to save on their overpriced menus. Deck seats can be uncomfortable at night.Depending on how adept you are at dealing with airports, flying can be easy & fast.But it depends on your plans for Greece & what you want to see there. You still have to take a bus through the Pelopennesse (3hrs) to Athens.