Please sign in to post.

travel

Getting ready for my first trip overseas. Going to meet my son in Athens Greece. Being a newbie to overseas travel what would be the easiest/hopefully cheap way to get from the airport into Athens? Wondering of the language issue....

Posted by
15254 posts

http://www.athensairport-2001.gr/transportation.html Language is not an issue. Virtually every Greek speaks English, especially in Athens and other popular tourist destination, the only exception might be the very elderly living in remote villages. Years ago I invested several weeks learning Greek before going there, only to discover that everybody spoke English better than me. I had to implore them to practice some Greek with them so that I could say that I didn't totally waste my time learning Greek. One day a store owner introduced me to his mother, an elderly woman in her 80's totally dressed in black. The store owner told me: "go ahead, have a little conversation with my mother, she speaks no English and is probably the only one who doesn't speak English in Mykonos. So I talked to her for just a few minutes and made her (and myself) very happy. ???? ?????? (happy travels)