Please sign in to post.

Travel

Is it less expensive to have a German friend purchase Eurail tickets for travel in Germany for me than for me to buy it before leaving for Germany? Will I experience more problems with a pass bought in Germany than with one bought in the US? It appears to be less expensive if purchased in Germany. Thank you Lee Vander Velden

Posted by
2829 posts

Eurail passes are only sold and available for non-EU residents. Interrail passes are available and sold only for EU-residents. German Rail passes are offered directly by DB, not but the consortium that operates the Eurail/Interrail passes. Are you sure you are talking about the same pass?

Posted by
19092 posts

Some Eurail passes are sold at selekt outlets in Europe, but only to non-European residents (note: Swiss are not EU-residents, but cannot buy Eurail passes). If your travel is confined to Germany, you need to purchase a German Rail Pass. It is just for Germany; a Eurail pass is for multiple countries and costs more. However, you will probably do better with advance purchase Savings Fare tickets purchased from the Bahn website and Länder- and point-point tickets purchased over there just before travel.