Please sign in to post.

travel between Porto, Portugal & Madrid

We are ending our tour in Porto, Portugal and want to travel to Madrid on a Friday in October. It appears that train travel is not convenient and/or efficient. Am I wrong? Air flights are on TAP Portugal. Anyone have experience with this airline? Any other suggestions for travel between these 2 cities?

Posted by
1654 posts

We flew TAP from London to Lisbon. They were having a pilots' strike at the time, which meant we waited at Heathrow for an extra 8 hours (so 11 hours total) before getting on a flight. They were horrible about communicating--kept saying the next flight would be at a certain time, and then when it would be time for the gate number to show up on the flight board, it wouldn't, until finally a completely different time would show up. The clerk left the desk with a long lineup of people trying to get information and didn't return, which was frustrating.

Once we did get on a flight, it was perfectly fine.

We flew Air Iberia from Lisbon to Madrid, so I don't have experience flying TAP Air from Portugal to Spain.

Posted by
291 posts

I flew TAP from Madrid to Lisbon, and then Lisbon to Seville. ( Afterwards, we flew Iberia from Seville to Madrid before flying back to the states on AA). Both TAP flights left right on time, and we had great service. We were given a FREE sandwich or pasta salad and drink on both flights even though the flights were short. I would definitely fly TAP again and recommend the airline.

Posted by
4535 posts

There isn't good train service. Flying is the way to go. You can also check Iberia.

Posted by
140 posts

Used TAP Portugal to fly from Porto to Barcelona. We had a very good experience with this airline. There is no additional charge for luggage or seat assignments. And, as the previous poster mentioned, they even feed you. This was very surprising to me given the short flight time.