Please sign in to post.

travel

I will be traveling from Sweden to Copenhagen to Germany to Amsterdam this year.
I am taking possesion of a new car in Sweden which i can drive to all or i can take the train. Having never driven there before i would like input as to which is better. A happy Travler

Posted by
8293 posts

If you are actually considering not driving the car in Europe, we are left to wonder why you purchased it this way in the first place. Anyone I know who has bought a car this way picked it up and then drove all over Europe in it before it was shipped back to America. I seem to be missing your point. Enlighten me.

Posted by
976 posts

First, make sure the transport back to the US is offered from your last stop- I presume that's Amsterdam? You might also want to see if there is a surcharge for transport from that port, as only you can decide if that is worth any such fee. We saved 7% buying a new car in Germany,drove it for 8 or 9 days,returned it to Germany rather than Italy where it would have cost about $1400 extra to have it shipped to the US. Then, use viamichelin.com to figure the cost of your driving, versus the cost of train tickets; then add in your hotel and food costs, if you have a budget that might affect your travel.
Lastly, the last Swedish and German cars we bought had to have 1,000 mile checkups: you'll need to keep an eye on that mileage so you don't mess with the warranty before you get the car back to the US.

Posted by
30 posts

To Norma I had this trip planned without a new car then had car problems so decided on a new car. So i did add 9 days to this trip to be able to use.

Posted by
976 posts

Enjoy the new car! I hope you get a GPS either here or in the new car as I think GPS make car trips easier. Remember you'll need an International Driving permit from AAA. Safe travels.

Posted by
30 posts

Yes Melissa. I am having European navagation put in for there and when i get it home i will have it transfered to USA. I am so glad i could get this done as it will make traveling there a lot easier.
Dorothea