Please sign in to post.

Travel

Traveling to Eastern Europe from the U.S. United airlines Cleveland,Oh to Toronto. Then LOT airlines to Warsaw. I read that you are only allowed one carry on bag. So in the US you can bring an overhead luggage bag and a backpack (placed under the seat in front of you). But going to Europe only one carry on bag?

Posted by
11294 posts

You have to check the current rules for each airline you are flying, on the particular route you are flying. And you have to be careful with definitions. Many airlines allow "one carry-on bag plus a personal item"; just what constitutes a "personal item" can get tricky. Then there's the matter of enforcement. Some airlines are notorious for strictly enforcing all rules (particularly those that make money this way, like making you pay to check a bag because it's an inch or a pound over their carry-on limits). Others are more lax, or the enforcement may vary by airport as well as by airline. Since I'm actually flying LOT later today, I looked at their carry-on rules. Here they are: http://www.lot.com/us/en/web/newlot/extra-luggage-in-the-cabin.

Posted by
12313 posts

I've never flown Lot. As a general rule only, many European airlines don't allow a second personal item. Your one carry on counts as your personal item. If you feel you need a separate personal item, make sure you can stow it in your bag before you board if it's not allowed. After you board, you can pull it out before you put your carry on in the overhead bin.

Posted by
8863 posts

Irene
Just flew LOT via Chicago. They did allow a personal item - no hassle. They did weigh the carry-on however, and were holding to the 8 kilo limit as published. No weigh-in on the return flight, which seemed strange.