Please sign in to post.

trasportation

Is there transportation available like a shuttle from CDG to Giverny and a shuttle to Train station in Paris available. We are 2 older women and carrying suitcases.

Posted by
8700 posts

When do you plan to visit Giverny? The gardens closed 1 November and won't open again until 1 April.

Posted by
32859 posts

Which of the many stations in Paris are you trying to get to?

Posted by
14 posts

Also how do we make arrangements to rent a car in Avignon for our 1 week visit in Provence ? thanks all for your assistance.
Ann

Posted by
14 posts

We will head for the train station that has a train to Avignon. Thanks, Ann

Posted by
284 posts

You can find rental cars easily online. Check Kayak.com, for example.

Posted by
11507 posts

Ann you will get alot more ideas and advice her if you try and be a bit more specific. We are all still trying to figure out what exactly your plan is,, your dates would really help, you don't have to give the days if you don't want, but are you going there after Giverny is closed, and therefore we can elimanate that portion of help? From Charles De Gaulle you wish to go straight to Avignon?

Posted by
9363 posts

" a shuttle to Train station in Paris"
Shuttle from where, to which station?

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you all for helping us with all this, Our plan is to arrive in France May16 @ CDG. We are staying in L'Isle sur la Sorgue in Provence. We will go there first but it is not available until May 17, so we will probably need to go to Paris& & get on the proper train and go to Avignon. Stay there 1 night I guess, before our apartment is available. In Avignon we will rent a car and drive to our rental. After our week there, we plan to go to Giverny for 5 nites before we return home May 29. Hence my questions on how to get to Giverny (Vernon) from Paris or Avignon. We are a little old to be managing suitcases alone on the train and a taxi is probably very expensive. I was hoping there might be something like a 'shuttle" that was more affordable.
So bless you all for your concern and caring. Ann

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you all for helping us with all this, Our plan is to arrive in France May16 @ CDG. We are staying in L'Isle sur la Sorgue in Provence. We will go there first but it is not available until May 17, so we will probably need to go to Paris& & get on the proper train and go to Avignon. Stay there 1 night I guess, before our apartment is available. In Avignon we will rent a car and drive to our rental. After our week there, we plan to go to Giverny for 5 nites before we return home May 29. Hence my questions on how to get to Giverny (Vernon) from Paris or Avignon. We are a little old to be managing suitcases alone on the train and a taxi is probably very expensive. I was hoping there might be something like a 'shuttle" that was more affordable.
So bless you all for your concern and caring. Ann

Posted by
8700 posts

You won't need to go into Paris to catch a train to Avignon. Direct TGVs from CDG to Avignon TGV depart at 06:57, 08:30, 09:58, 11:40, 13:58, and 16:58. For car rental in Avignon check Auto Europe. AE is a consolidator that finds you the best rate from among the rental companies with which it has contracts. Pick up and return your car at Avignon TGV. If you take a train from Avignon to Paris, you will arrive at Gare de Lyon. Trains from Paris to Vernon (the station closest to Giverny) depart from Gare Saint-Lazare. You can take Metro line 14 directly from Gare de Lyon to Saint-Lazare. If you don't want to schlepp your luggage on the Metro, take a taxi. When you get to Vernon, you can take either a shuttle bus or a taxi to Giverny.

Posted by
4051 posts

You need to wade through the wealth of information on train travel found on www.seat61.com. Then you will be more comfortable sorting out the official French train sites. www.tgv-europe.com will probably be the easiest to use in English. Just choose any country other than the United States and Australia so you won't be bumped to RailEurope. It takes some patience learning how these things work but it will pay off in the end with a smoother and calmer trip.

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you all for your wonderful help. Next questionHow do we get from Giverny or Vernon to CDG for our flight home to San Francisco on Wed May 29 departing CDG at 1;35 pm ? All assistance is greatly appreciated.
Best, Ann

Posted by
2091 posts

Ann, I checked the Deutsch Bahn site, realizing that the schedule will be u-p-d-a-t-e-d about 10 December and that it's too early to buy tickets, and found trains with one change, departing at 07:42, arriving at CDG at 09:59. I have found over the years that a 3-hour check-in is advisable at CDG. The 07:42 train gives you 50 minutes to transfer from the Paris St Lazare station to the Paris Nord station to take the RER....or you could take a taxi from St Lazare. Personally I'd stay the last night in Paris and take a taxi even though it would be around €50-60 just in case there was a problem. That's just me, I tend to worry about train strikes and I don't want to have to pay for a missed flight.