Please sign in to post.

Transportation - Train Ticket from Prague to Vienna for 1/1/2012

What is the best website for me to use to buy a train ticket from Prague to Vienna (for travel on 1/1/2012)? What is the difference between an economy ticket and premier ticket? One website (Czech Railways) is selling tickets for what seems a much lower price than RailEurope and I want to be sure to get tickets properly. Thank you to all.

Posted by
19115 posts

Everybody sells tickets for less than RailEurope. And Czech Rail does sell tickets at a lower price (maybe they are government subsidized, but I'll take it). I'm not sure you will find Czech Rail tickets from Prague to Vienna, just from Prague to the border. Your best bet is probably to buy your tickets in Prague. However, if you must buy them in advance, the Austrian Rail website, oebb.at does sell those tickets.

Posted by
1840 posts

Having recently ridden trains in that area I would say get the best class you can afford. Second and third class are no fun. If you can, book a reservation at least three days ahead of time.

Posted by
8700 posts

There is direct RailJet service from Prague to Vienna. The best advance discount fare shown on the Austrian Rail site is €29 for a 2nd class ticket. However, that site doesn't allow online booking for routes orginating in the Czech Republic. I imagine you can get the same discount fare if you book now on the Czech Rail site.

Posted by
4637 posts

There is no need to buy ticket ahead. Buy it when you are in Prague. I would not go by Monte's advice. 1st class costs 50% more, second class is perfectly OK and third class does not exist on Czech trains.

Posted by
811 posts

i'd just buy ticket 1 day ahead or even on the same day. the train is usually not busy and 2nd or 3rd class is very comfy - no need to buy first class. in fact, you'll likely see yourself in the compartment all by yourself.