Please sign in to post.

Transportation to St. Bees from the Isle of Man - May 2013

I will be traveling to England in early May 2013 to hike the Coast-to-Coast walk (I'm from Chicago). I want to go to the Isle of Man prior to the walk, but it looks like a logistical nightmare. Can anyone help? Looks like I can fly into Manchester, then catch a train and ferry to the Isle of Man. That part is easy. The confusing part is how to get to St. Bees (where the hike begins) after leaving the Isle of Man. Do I have to go back to Liverpool, then catch a 7-hour train? Are there private ferries from the Isle of Man that can take me directly to St. Bees? Taxis, buses? I'd really appreciate any feedback, Thanks.

Posted by
984 posts

I was bemused by 'Do I have to go back to Liverpool, then catch a 7-hour train?', so I can offer :- I see no train journey Liverpool Lime Street to St. Bees greater than 4 hours 16 minutes - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ There is a ferry service, to my recollection, run by Manx Ferries from Isle of Man to Heysham and train from there. Whether you will save time, you will have to do the maths. Consider flight Liverpool to Isle of Man and reverse with Easyjet. And yes, there are always taxis (if money does not matter) and there will be a way (but convoluted and time consuming) by buses. Does this help?